Heavy breathing

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a red angus heifer born April, weaned her<br>in August, after about 3 weeks she developed some<br>breathing problems, called the vet. we have been<br>treating her with Nuflor (sp?) and banamine, the<br>banamine really helps her breath and the nuflor helped until we stopped giving shots, we sent blood to ISU and it came back in normal ranges, we also gave her a magnet, she still is breathing a little hard especially if stressed in any way or if the weather gets warm, she is eating fine but has lost the bloom she once had also is not really gaining any weight. We have also started to give her some antibiotics in feed, any other suggestions would be really super as she is a show heifer and has good breeding behind her.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

I answered you over on Cattlepages. Your post here, though, gives more information. Did the vet actually examine the heifer or did he prescribe the medications without an exam? <p>I would suggest a re-exam, so that he or she can listen to the heifer's heart & lungs with a stethoscope. The problem could be in either place. The bloodwork was a good idea, however results are subject to interpretation. If the bloodwork strongly suggested no evidence of infection (e.g., white blood cell count not elevated), you may possibly be dealing with heart or lung damage from the initial infection. <p>Does the heifer have a fever, nasal discharge, cough? If there is any discharge, you might want to consider sending in a sample of the fluid for a culture and sensitivity test. This will take at least 3 days. The lab will attempt to grow the bug in a dish, then test to see what, if any antibiotic the bug might be susceptible or resistant to. <p>
<br>

Try using Excenel. But other then that, I think this heifer just may be chronic. Some just don't ever get over diseases, especially if she was stopped being treated cause then the bacteria or virus she has will develope immunity to antibiotics. The best thing to do if she doesn't get better soon is send her to a canning plant. Otherwise you might lose her all together. One of our bulls developed pneumonia early in the fall, and we just can't get it knocked out of him. And we really don't want to ship him since he has excellent breeding and was our top bull calf last year.
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":117r7laf said:
: Try using Excenel. But other then that, I think this heifer just may be chronic. Some just don't ever get over diseases, especially if she was stopped being treated cause then the bacteria or virus she has will develope immunity to antibiotics. The best thing to do if she doesn't get better soon is send her to a canning plant. Otherwise you might lose her all together. One of our bulls developed pneumonia early in the fall, and we just can't get it knocked out of him. And we really don't want to ship him since he has excellent breeding and was our top bull calf last year.<p>thanks for the info, I will ask the vet about that, I just can't can her she is a show heifer, good breeding worth a couple of thousand dollars, so I gotta try all I can to help her. We just recently wormed her, maybe that will help.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts