Heatwatch Tail Mounts

Help Support CattleToday:

I've used KaMars and Bovine Beacons from Select Sires. The only difference is that the Beacons glow in the dark for about 12 hours. I'd recomend the Beacons over the KaMars. They are a great enhancement to your AI program.
Just remember these are an tool, not a replacement to heat detection.

I have used the Kamars in the past, I was happy with them.

Where I work, they have used Kamars and Bovine Beacons for several years, and are happy with them.

Katherine

are you refering to the Electronic HeatWatch system?? If so I use it and sell them as well. I am very pleased with our system and have sold alot of systems in my area and every one is happy with it .I would not consider AI or ET in my herd without HeatWatch. It is far superior over Kamar , Beacons , and estrous alert.

almost forgot, wear latex/nitril gloves when applying KaMar or Bovine Beacons, it will prevent the rubber cement from getting all over your hands.

Electronic Heat Watch is pricey - PM me and I'll give you an email address to talk with someone using it.
Genex has a new patch. It is like a stick on label. You peal it off and stick it on - no glue. It is like a "scratch game sheet". They come in different colors. Mine is "hot pink". It is covered with a light grey color, as the cattle are mounted, the chests scratch off the grey & the "hot pink" shows up. The more they are mounted, the more pink shows. Think they are about $1 each - about same as K-Mar? not sure
I have used K-Mar tags for MANY years. Good tool. I also - mostly - use a cattle crayon marker - cheap!!
One thing, don't apply any of these stick on tags soon after using pour-on dewormer or delice - yikes - they all slipped off after the "oil" spread.

The folks that do my AI'ing for me use the Heat Watch system, and they had a higher conception rate after using it. They've also used the KaMars, but they're in a wooded area, and the cows tend to peel those off pretty easily.

It is pricey, but they bought their system used and got a good deal on it.

Heat Watch IS an excellent program - it's more than an AID. It basically tells you exactly their heat cycle. But, it's costly to start, and the sensors get lost and is costly to replace each year. And you have to have your cattle situated so that the tower can "reach" each cow to read her activities.
Don't get me wrong, if I could have it without the cost - you bet I would. K-Mar and other "markers" are just TOOLS to aid you in figuring out who's standing - this TELLS you without you watching them all day.

HeatWatch is $3500.00 for the system and $55.00 each for the transmitters (they are reusable) you put on the cows tailhead.I found that our system paid for itself in just labor savings not havin to Heat Check .I saw it as I could not afford not to have it after looking and talking to people that had it.

polledbull":4d4dludm said:
HeatWatch is $3500.00 for the system and $55.00 each for the transmitters (they are reusable) you put on the cows tailhead.I found that our system paid for itself in just labor savings not havin to Heat Check .I saw it as I could not afford not to have it after looking and talking to people that had it.
YUP, like I said - too costly for me!!!
On one hand, you can say if you have a lot of cows, the $3500 can be diluted over the herd, but you are looking at $55/cow - so the more cows you have - the more initial costs - and the more upkeep because they do lose them & ruin them, so you have a yearly upkeep cost. I, personally, cannot justify that kind of cost to replace me spending - minimum 1 hour/day up to 2 hours/day observing. Now, if you're not home, it's still working. But, if you're not home, the cows aren't going to get bred anyway, and generally, when I'm gone, I can generally tell who I missed in heat.
Anyway, not knocking the program, it's good, and I'm jeolous of those that can afford it.

I am not making lite of your situation, but everbody that has ever bought one said the same thing." Cant Afford It. "But Later after they bought it , they couldnt believe they hadnt bought it years ago . In fact one guy said I wouldnt take double my money back for it right now.It only takes a 10% increase in conception rate on a small herd to make it justifiable along with the labor savings. It only takes 2 good AI sired hiefer calves per your above your normal conception rate to pay for the whole thing.Another thing everbody says is , I cant believe how much easier it has become to detect heat and get them bred. As for the Transmitters falling off. I dont have any problem what so ever If I get them off in 75 days or less. I have only lost 4 transmitters in 5 years . In fact you can hardly get them off if they have been on 45 days or less.