Heat stress

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score

It is brutal, checking cows today for signs of heat stress, they are making it but they are hot. Our donor cows are in a field with a pond they have converted to water bufflo only thing you see is their head sticking out of the water.

How are y'all holding up?

We are now enjoying much lower temperatures. Actually dropping into low 60 at night. High 70s to mid 80s daytime. Nice!

they're maybe laying in the shade a little more but no other change that I can tell.
None of mine have ever stood in a pond no matter what the weather did-----except during flood when it was just one big pond.

greybeard":ldiah2ay said:
they're maybe laying in the shade a little more but no other change that I can tell.
None of mine have ever stood in a pond no matter what the weather did-----except during flood when it was just one big pond.

My Angus bull gets in the pond or lays on a sand bar in the creek. The Brimmer girls act like nothing has changed.

No ponds in pastures, shade provided, plenty of water, cull the ones this fall that did not do well. Environmental fit required.

ALACOWMAN":3mznkpwt said:
It's been as hot, as this last winter was cold.one extreme follows another they say..but I'm thinking we might have a early fall ..hope not

Leaves were raining off the hickory trees this morning. Squirrels are already working on the nuts, that is about a month early.

Ebenezer":3135buxn said:
No ponds in pastures, shade provided, plenty of water, cull the ones this fall that did not do well. Environmental fit required.

I have been taking notes on our's this summer. Plan to do the same as you. I've got 3-4 that i'm strongly considering moving on.

TCRanch":2x6n9zvh said:
greybeard":2x6n9zvh said:
Always.

This made me wonder; do some cows go in the pond just because they enjoy the water? I know I go in the pool or creek because I love swimming and playing in the water, what makes them any different? I have seen cows in the pond when there was steam coming off the water because the pond was warmer than the external temperature (summer moving into fall).

Fire Sweep Ranch":2tl1iyw8 said:
TCRanch":2tl1iyw8 said:
greybeard":2tl1iyw8 said:
Always.

This made me wonder; do some cows go in the pond just because they enjoy the water? I know I go in the pool or creek because I love swimming and playing in the water, what makes them any different? I have seen cows in the pond when there was steam coming off the water because the pond was warmer than the external temperature (summer moving into fall).
I think they like the buoyancy but good question. And I'll never understand why they love to rub their faces in the mud.

TCRanch":1pk6qwc0 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":1pk6qwc0 said:
TCRanch":1pk6qwc0 said:

I think they like the buoyancy but good question. And I'll never understand why they love to rub their faces in the mud.

Same reason you gals do :lol2: :hide: I always thought it was bc of bugs but I really don't know.

A lot quicker way to cool down then to stand around and pant..their body temp"" in this heat""doesn't start dropping till well after dark.around 9 or 10 o'clock before it even goes back to normal ,once it gets in the 70s they start heating up...

108 here and yes the brangus girls are in the pond as deep as they can go. Don't blame them one bit either. This is about 5th or 6th day in a row with that temp so maybe they will be getting use to it soon. Wild fires all over the countryside. One big one down around Ft. Hood.

This is the time us northerners say you southerners are crazy for living down south - but I'm sure we'll hear from you come January.

Latest posts