Heat stress

Help Support CattleToday:

I like the red cows too... Some of my Shorthorn or Saler crossed with Gelbvieh have a distinct red that has a bit of a glow to it.. especially in the evening light

This 3/4SH, 1/4 Saler bull is a real deep red, nice but not my favorite
IMG_7435sm.jpg

This is more the color I like.
IMG_8009sm.jpg

My tigerstripes, brangus and longhorn crosses do just fine. They are actually out eating in 100 degree heat. My hereford bull is having a hard time. Had to hose him down yesterday.

BK9954":1xjastec said:
My tigerstripes, brangus and longhorn crosses do just fine. They are actually out eating in 100 degree heat. My hereford bull is having a hard time. Had to hose him down yesterday.
The problem is he's going to pass his heat intolerance to his offspring. And it'll only get worse as he grows. My Hereford bulls had no problems with the heat and they came from the mountains. I hope he's doing alright.

What in the world did we do before we had the internet to tell us how hot it is. Not a single animal has commented here saying they are stressed out. Provide basic care and the rest sorts itself out.

Ive always thought our Northern producers were leaving money on the table with their livestock. A little ear in your momma cows would put more hustle and heat tolerance in them. Maybe about a 1/4 ear. Calves could have leather cleaned up with the right breeds of bull on the mommas. Order buyers wouldn't have a clue

houstoncutter":197rgx1r said:
Ive always thought our Northern producers were leaving money on the table with their livestock. A little ear in your momma cows would put more hustle and heat tolerance in them. Maybe about a 1/4 ear. Calves could have leather cleaned up with the right breeds of bull on the mommas. Order buyers wouldn't have a clue

My step-brother has what is left of my dad's herd. They started with Corriente and LH cows bred to BM bulls. The resulting replacements were culled for based on performance and uniformity (goal was no horns and solid colors). Hereford replacement females were added in and they are switching over to british bulls. They sell grass-fed beef, direct to consumer. These BM X LH/Corriente influenced cattle work for what they are doing, but you are lying to yourself if you think those same steers wouldn't get hammered at sale barn up here. :2cents:

Boot Jack Bulls":14maqbga said:
houstoncutter":14maqbga said:

My step-brother has what is left of my dad's herd. They started with Corriente and LH cows bred to BM bulls. The resulting replacements were culled for based on performance and uniformity (goal was no horns and solid colors). Hereford replacement females were added in and they are switching over to british bulls. They sell grass-fed beef, direct to consumer. These BM X LH/Corriente influenced cattle work for what they are doing, but you are lying to yourself if you think those same steers wouldn't get hammered at sale barn up here. :2cents:

Your problem was LH and coriente can't hardly give them away here.
The only bovine that was worth having was the BM.

Boot Jack Bulls":lwie9jqb said:
houstoncutter":lwie9jqb said:

I was referring to cattle with ear, that down here means Brahman. I can take quarter bloods put a good fullblood Limi on them and you will see no ear or leather. Just a goof framed growth calf.

CB, they started with a herd of registered Corrientes. Rather than give them away at the sale barn, they used them as a building block. Sometimes, you must start where you can.

Houston, up here, anything with Brahma influence is considered eared. Aside from niche markets, a solid black or red well- muscled calf is still the top of the market. If a calf is feather-necked, roan, horned, scurred or shows ANY Brahma influence, you will get docked.

Boot Jack Bulls":3jx9s37x said:
CB, they started with a herd of registered Corrientes. Rather than give them away at the sale barn, they used them as a building block. Sometimes, you must start where you can.

Houston, up here, anything with Brahma influence is considered eared. Aside from niche markets, a solid black or red well- muscled calf is still the top of the market. If a calf is feather-necked, roan, horned, scurred or shows ANY Brahma influence, you will get docked.
Boots Jack Bulls is right, it's difficult to get a premium price for anything that shows Brahman influence here. Saw a nice group of Brangus steers being sold at a local sale barn last spring....get docked badly for being a Brahman influenced. That said there are more clean tight skinned Beefmasters or Ultrablacks available for any northerners to use on their commercial cows. It has nothing to do with corrientes & longhorns and to be fair, our winters are pretty harsh on any eared cows with strong Brahman influence.