Heat Question

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the spot to ask but was wondering.....my yearling heifer just cycled and that means that if she stays on her "schedule" she will be in standing heat the day of the NAILE show.... :(
Now I have heard folks talk about giving heifers a shot of Lute to make them cycle outside their "schedule". My question is have any of you done this? Did it work? My concern would be to mess up her cycling somehow with the shot? Suggestions??

I would put a CIDR in her and leave it through the show. That way she will NOT come in heat during the show. I have not done it personally, but a friend that is a vet and shows had done this over the summer. He reccomends it highly if they are going to be coming in heat.

greatgerts":38vz9v0f said:
I would put a CIDR in her and leave it through the show. That way she will NOT come in heat during the show. I have not done it personally, but a friend that is a vet and shows had done this over the summer. He reccomends it highly if they are going to be coming in heat.

The problem is that CIDRs are only sold in sealed packages of 10 amd it is very pricey.

Wait 7 days and give her a shot of Lutalyse or Estrumate (more expensive, but better in my opinion) and she'll cycle again about 48-72 hours after the shot. It won't harm her in any way for the future, have done it in the past with show heifers and still use estrumate as a tool during AI season.

KNERSIE":1tddgj3t said:
greatgerts":1tddgj3t said:

The problem is that CIDRs are only sold in sealed packages of 10 amd it is very pricey.

Wait 7 days and give her a shot of Lutalyse or Estrumate (more expensive, but better in my opinion) and she'll cycle again about 48-72 hours after the shot. It won't harm her in any way for the future, have done it in the past with show heifers and still use estrumate as a tool during AI season.

I would do that as well CKC. Knersie we can buy individual CIDRS here and yes they are expensive, also she would have a string hanging down when showing and you may be docked for that. Prostaglandin is your best option. If unsure give your vet a call ,he will tell you the best thing for your animals.

CKC1586":10g1jybt said:
Not sure if this is the spot to ask but was wondering.....my yearling heifer just cycled and that means that if she stays on her "schedule" she will be in standing heat the day of the NAILE show.... :(
Now I have heard folks talk about giving heifers a shot of Lute to make them cycle outside their "schedule". My question is have any of you done this? Did it work? My concern would be to mess up her cycling somehow with the shot? Suggestions??
I'd prefer the Lute if it were me. The cidr's make them hold their tail high for a little while and they sometimes have a little discharge. I guess you could pull it out going into the ring but the plastic string wouldn't look too cute. If I were going the Progesterone route, instead of cidr's I'd feed mga. Cycling her with Lute 4 or 5 days ahead of the show (assuming she won't come in early on here own) wouldn't hurt a thing and it's easy.

ollie?":3s6gqvgv said:
CKC1586":3s6gqvgv said:
I'd prefer the Lute if it were me. The cidr's make them hold their tail high for a little while and they sometimes have a little discharge. I guess you could pull it out going into the ring but the plastic string wouldn't look too cute. If I were going the Progesterone route, instead of cidr's I'd feed mga. Cycling her with Lute 4 or 5 days ahead of the show (assuming she won't come in early on here own) wouldn't hurt a thing and it's easy.
Thanks, I think that is what I will do but I was thinking 7 to 10 days before??

CKC1586":2o26bk3a said:
ollie?":2o26bk3a said:
CKC1586":2o26bk3a said:
Thanks, I think that is what I will do but I was thinking 7 to 10 days before??
The PG shot 7 to 10 days before would be about right. She'd cycle around 66 hrs later.

Thanks ollie, she is standing today so I am thinking I will lute her on the 6th of November...she should then be civilized for the week of the 15th... Boy this little gal cycles like clockwork and strong, no way to miss hers!! Her Mom isn't nearly as overt!

Latest posts