Heat losses revisited

Help Support CattleToday:

bunchgrass

Reaction score
Rookie here and Not trying to start trouble - just a question RE: inbred's terrible loss last summer. Any idea of how many "eared" (brahma blood) blacks were in that group that died? Just wondering if all the talk of heat tolerance in those breeds showed up in your situation. IME those eared boogers get berated for their attitude, finish, tough meat ..... w/o getting enough credit for survivability (that sort of toughness). Even up here, some guys still want a little "ear" in their cattle.

I eat a brangus steer quite regularly. The steaks are as good or better than anything you can buy at the butcher shop.

I've got a far worse attitude than any of them. Its my way or the highway. Some choose the highway from time to time. :D

I wouldn't say we don't see any eared cattle - Beefmaster occasionally. Also - must have got mixed up as I thought the OP was in Oklahoma/Kansas area, not MN :oops:

Seems funny to me that people breed black brangus. Add heat tolerance by adding ear, and give it up by making them black.

What is docked more, the ear, or being non-black?

Seems a red angus or other lighter british breed might tolerate heat as well as a black brangus, with better end product.

Too bad the marketing is all focused on black. Billions of dollars at stake.

This thread reminded me of some reading I'd done here:

http://nimss.umd.edu/homepages/home.cfm?trackID=11616

Excerpts:

Current information using modern cattle is needed so that cow-calf producers in the Southern region can make informed breeding decisions to profitably produce cattle under their environmental challenges. Tropically-adapted breeds such as the Brahman (and to a lesser extent other adapted breeds such as those of Criollo or Sanga origin), are used widely in this region, however their offspring have a reputation for poor performance in stocker and feedlot operations on the Great Plains. As a result, many cow-calf producers in this region are attempting to use non-adapted cattle, such as British or other Bos taurus breeds.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In most areas of the world, cattle destined for slaughter are fattened on grass. In the southern U.S. this requires cattle that are well-adapted to the ambient conditions (high temperature and humidity) and it is usually expected that only Bos indicus or Bos indicus crosses can be sufficiently adapted to such conditions to grow rapidly and efficiently. Since both a light coat color and a short hair length contribute significantly to increased heat tolerance, it is possible that the combination of short hair and lighter coloration will result in an animal with high growth potential under grazing conditions in the southern U.S. without Bos indicus influence.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over the past two decades black has become the preferred color of feedlot and slaughter cattle in the USA, including the Southern Region. As a result, not only has the influence of Angus cattle increased, but the black gene has been incorporated, through upgrading and selection, into a number of previously red breeds such as the Simmental, Limousin, Gelbvieh, etc. This is in spite of the fact that black colored cattle will absorb more solar radiation than red or other lighter-colored cattle. Studies by Mader et al. (2002) and Davis et al. (2003) both showed rather dramatic (up to 0.5º) lower body temperatures while under heat stress for white (dilute-colored Charolais crossbred) as compared to black feedlot steers. This advantage is comparable to the effect of the Slick hair gene for heat tolerance reported by Olson et al. (2003).

@djinwa - not sure about which is "seen" as worse now. Used to be "ear" but now I'd bet color is right there.

I'm not sure Color hurts the cattle as much as lack of shade . Where I live I'll keep my black brangus and you can have your red angus . Over the last 3 years my cattle haven't missed a beat . Even though it's been extreamly hot dry and humid .

djinwa":25tyqmqt said:
Seems funny to me that people breed black brangus. Add heat tolerance by adding ear, and give it up by making them black.

What is docked more, the ear, or being non-black?

Seems a red angus or other lighter british breed might tolerate heat as well as a black brangus, with better end product.

Too bad the marketing is all focused on black. Billions of dollars at stake.

Brangus works for me.

Ear can be trimmed with a good terminal bull. Animals forage all night in the summer and lay up in the shade in the heat of the day. When calves weigh significantly more at the sale barn, bring the black premium, you've got money in the bank. Super baldies generally bring the most nickels of all.

If you are not going terminal, you take a slight hit on steers with ear. You more than make up for it on heifers tho. This will be a rebuilding year for most everyone. I could not afford to buy eared cows/heifers at the barn if it is anything like it was following the last drought.

You can go here http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/ go to cattle, look up brangus and go down about 8 papragraphs to read this:

Research at Louisiana has indicated that Brangus cows increased their weights during the summer months while Angus cows lost weight, indicating that they were more adapted to coastal climates. Calves from Brangus were heavier at birth and weaning and for total pounds produced per cow. The Angus had an advantage in conception rate and calved earlier, and the calves were more vigorous at birth and survived better to weaning.

backhoeboogie":1ujk5l9a said:
This will be a rebuilding year for most everyone. I could not afford to buy eared cows/heifers at the barn if it is anything like it was following the last drought.

That's precisely why we've held on to a small group of brangus and angus plus(ultra black or whatever you want to call them) heifers from 2011. I'm praying the good Lord keeps the rain coming along so we can hang on to them And their mommas. Otherwise, the heifers will take a one way trip to town along with the first calf heifers. :(

Texas Gal":2ulrmtje said:
backhoeboogie":2ulrmtje said:
This will be a rebuilding year for most everyone. I could not afford to buy eared cows/heifers at the barn if it is anything like it was following the last drought.

That's precisely why we've held on to a small group of brangus and angus plus(ultra black or whatever you want to call them) heifers from 2011. I'm praying the good Lord keeps the rain coming along so we can hang on to them And their mommas. Otherwise, the heifers will take a one way trip to town along with the first calf heifers. :(
they'll be a hot item this spring if you do,, id get top dollar before id dump em at the stockyard

ALACOWMAN":2xmt5vdh said:
Texas Gal":2xmt5vdh said:
backhoeboogie":2xmt5vdh said:

they'll be a hot item this spring if you do,, id get top dollar before id dump em at the stockyard

Yes, sir. That's my plan IF we have to sell them.

It would seam that if the market needs black then the feedlots should provide shade to protct their stock? I would think that saving only a few head would soon pay for some shade.

Of course some marketing type could finish eared cattle in the South and save on trucking it all over the place, or did I miss some thing here?

I run brangus gold cows and registered brangus bulls. Ill usually have 8 or 10 calves a year with a lot of ear . I've learned that those heifers are in high demand here. And as far as steers having to much ear I sell those as freezer beef . I know Charolais crossed calves sell good also . But I like having several ways to market my animals and I like raising my own heifers . I've have no doubt a pile of black cattle standing in the Texas sun in a feed lot would have problems but the perceived notion that you can bring a red cow here and put her in with my brangus and she will put preform them i just don't see .

JSCATTLE":1t6ll7v1 said:
I run brangus gold cows and registered brangus bulls. Ill usually have 8 or 10 calves a year with a lot of ear . I've learned that those heifers are in high demand here. And as far as steers having to much ear I sell those as freezer beef . I know Charolais crossed calves sell good also . But I like having several ways to market my animals and I like raising my own heifers . I've have no doubt a pile of black cattle standing in the Texas sun in a feed lot would have problems but the perceived notion that you can bring a red cow here and put her in with my brangus and she will put preform them i just don't see .
One reason so many of the feedlots are located out west and in the Texas panhandle. Get's hot as he77 but almost zero humidity and usually a breeze blowing so not as hard for cattle to handle the weather.

Latest posts