Heat for shop

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
What would be the best heat for a 30x40 detached garage ? I have natural gas available. Still waiting on some quotes to see if Iam going with a post frame or stick built.

pricefarm":35etj30m said:
What would be the best heat for a 30x40 detached garage ? I have natural gas available. Still waiting on some quotes to see if Iam going with a post frame or stick built.

I use turbo heaters in the shops whether kerosene diesel or propane if you get a big one and the shop is insulated well you can get it heated pretty good fairly quick and maintain a good temperature.

We actually salvaged the old gas fireplace from the original house on the ranch (now dozed & buried) & set it up in the workshop but have it tied in to a propane tank outside. Works like a charm! Even warm up calves in front of it if they're too cold.

Friend of mine put pipes in the floor of his shop as he poured concrete.Uses an outdoor wood stove and runs the hot through the pipes.Said it felt good to lie down on the floor when working underneath something.

JW IN VA":1daknxwp said:
Friend of mine put pipes in the floor of his shop as he poured concrete.Uses an outdoor wood stove and runs the hot through the pipes.Said it felt good to lie down on the floor when working underneath something.

yep. .radiant heat pex pipe in the floor. You can use a water heater to heat it if you don't feel like burning wood. that's what i'm putting in my shop.

Dearborn. I have a 30 x 50 insulated with one dearborn. The trick is to not let them get real cold to begin with. Start the heat on low before the temp starts to dramatically drop.

[/quote] yep. .radiant heat pex pipe in the floor. You can use a water heater to heat it if you don't feel like burning wood. that's what i'm putting in my shop.[/quote]

2X. Radiant heat in the concrete is the cats meow. If you go that route, I'd spend the extra $$$ for the bubble insulation under the concrete and make sure you put antifreeze in the system. Like JW said, a 40,000 BTU water heater should be able to handle your building in Virginia. Don't expect to only run the heat when you are in the shop, that concrete takes a LONG time to warm up. I keep my shop 55 degrees all winter long. Perfect for tinkering around in a sweatshirt.

pricefarm":1br2gdnb said:

I was thinking another thing.... How far is the detached garage from the main house and do you already have a boiler in the main house? Maybe easiest to piggy back of your house heat? I have 3 boilers in my attached garage plumbed in series and run under ground loops off of the main to the other heated buildings. My furthest building from my boilers is 140 feet. Also, very handy if one boiler goes down, the other 2 will keep everything warm.

I'd steer clear of anything ventless if you use it much. Everything inside will be wet.

Heat in the floor can't be beat if you use the space enough to justify the expense. You can open and close doors and you'll barely notice. But you have to run it all winter to really make use of it.

A natural gas boiler with radiant heat in the floor would be about as simple to use and comfortable as anything you'll find. If that is too big an investment I'd go with a hanging vented natural gas heater.

millstreaminn":20d2up91 said:
pricefarm":20d2up91 said:

I was thinking another thing.... How far is the detached garage from the main house and do you already have a boiler in the main house? Maybe easiest to piggy back of your house heat? I have 3 boilers in my attached garage plumbed in series and run under ground loops off of the main to the other heated buildings. My furthest building from my boilers is 140 feet. Also, very handy if one boiler goes down, the other 2 will keep everything warm.

We have a nature gas furnace in the house. The hot water heater idea is pretty neat I could go with a gas hot water heater.

I would never use anything ventless. And, infloor heat with a natural gas boiler is about as slick as you can get. A little more $$$ than a hanging gas unit heater, but real nice heat.

And I would recommend put down foam sheets down under pex before you pour concrete. Foam keeps that heat from going down

Latest posts