Heat detection

Help Support CattleToday:

farmer rich

Reaction score
I just read the thread from Rainbow Valley Cattle Co and thought I would share this idea with the board regarding heat detection.

In the dairy herd we use a vacectomised bull with a chin ball marker to help us spot the heats, he's payed for himself over and over marking out heats overnight including silent heats.
The marker is a leather halter with a reservoir of dye that runs out through a hole underneath containing a steel ball. A sort of biro arrangement. The bull can be anything but we use a hereford due to his docility, the only drawback is he gets too fat on the dairy ration and we have to keep putting him on a diet. I may post a picture of him, is there a guinness world record for the fattest herf?

You guys probably do this already though, tell me to shut up if I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs :) .

its safer to use a hormone treated heifer. its somewhat safer than a gomer bull . but both can turn on you. scott

Heck, one or more five month old bulls can do the same thing if you mount a paint brush on their nose. ;-)
Jay