Heat Detection

Help Support CattleToday:

RisingCreekHerefords

Reaction score
Okay, so I bred 5 heifers on the 9th of January. On the 29th, I started watching for signs of heat just in case one happened to come in early. I noticed one heifer was in standing heat. The next morning, I AIed her again. As for the other four, I cannot tell if these heifers are in heat or not! I really wasn't confident that I got any of them bred when I AIed them. Now they may seem a bit irritable, they smell each other, but there is no riding at all. So no standing heat. Could they be bred? Or are they just not showing signs like I think they should? I'm not sure if I should try to breed them again, or just preg check them in 45 days if they don't show any more sign than what they are now. Thoughts?

A dollar estrotect patch will tell you alot, had 1 a few weeks ago getting sniffed alot, figured shed be in that afternoon, she did come in but 4 days later.
Don't wait 45 days you can blood test at 28 days then 3 days in the mail and getting results, that will be 10 days past what should have been return date, give shot of PG will save you a few weeks.

It;s not unusual for cows around they would normally come into heat to release scents, whatever that will get other cows or a bull interested. We AIed 11 cows with a GnRH/Lute method in November. None of them came into heat until this past week when 3 of them came back in.

I agree. The estrotech patches are worth every penny.
Run a blood test. To cheap and accurate not to and then you'll be able to come up with a plan. Or they are all successfully bred and you'll have a good boost in your confidence :)
Good luck! Keep us posted!

I wasn't sure how the estrotect patches would work if they aren't riding so I haven't tried them. Does anyone have any recommendations on a blood test company? Also, would you sync again or use the patches and wait?

If they aren;t riding they stay silver. If they're being ridden the change to whichever color the patches are that you got. I use the red ones. They're like the lottery scratch off deals, that's the silver coating.

the patches are the easiest way, cheap and easy it gives you a good read on who's doing what .

I use Gold Standard labs in KY for blood test, just close for me, and results fast.
You can pull blood on 4th or 5th get it in the mail should know by Tuesday 8th all opens give a shot of PG and breed when they come in.
Its possible you missed them early, id probably started watching on the 27th and used patches.

RisingCreekHerefords":2t3offrv said:
I wasn't sure how the estrotect patches would work if they aren't riding so I haven't tried them. Does anyone have any recommendations on a blood test company? Also, would you sync again or use the patches and wait?
The patches work when you're not watching them. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to guess what happens when you're not there to see it if you don't use an aid. I would patch them and watch for heat, especially with heifers.
Whatever you do, DON'T sync them again. Lut will abort whatever calves you do have.

cow pollinater":3827ly41 said:
RisingCreekHerefords":3827ly41 said:
The patches work when you're not watching them. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to guess what happens when you're not there to see it if you don't use an aid. I would patch them and watch for heat, especially with heifers.
Whatever you do, DON'T sync them again. Lut will abort whatever calves you do have.

I second all of that!
You'll be surprised how many you thought weren't being ridden but really are. I use the pink or orange ones. Very easy to spot from far away.
I've used Biotracking for years. They now have labs all over that do their testing. http://www.biotracking.com/beef
Look on their website for their lab locations.