Heat detection as a Science.

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I'm like little boy blue...this should be a good topic/burden for those that AI and those that want to. I've been writing down the days my heifer are in heat but not sure yet how to tell heat, standing heat, gave it s shot of luut heat, guys coming with the straws they better be in heat, and all that in between!

If you observe standing heat usually want to keep an eye on her 17-24 days later (21 days is average) for her next cycle. Our rule of thumb is if you observe standing heat in the morning breed at night and vice versa. If you have a group to AI you can try to synchronize too, We use the CIDR method where you put in a CIDR and give a shot of lutalyse. Take the CIDR out a week later and give another shot of lutalyse and usually 24-48 hours later we have all kinds of action going on. If you don't observe heat after 48 hours you can try to force breed by giving another shot of lutalyse and breeding about 20 hours later. We put CIDRs in 17 cows and heifers this month, observed 13 of them in heat within 48 hours, and force bred 3 of them while holding off on 1 as she had the youngest calf in the group and was pretty much at the bare minimum for days after calving to synch so hoping to catch her in heat within 3-4 weeks for 1 more try at AI along with 4 females that are sired by our bull otherwise she goes out with the cleanup bull before we risk getting her too far down in calving. Our calving season runs from about mid to late Feb to May 1 (preferably although we sometimes have 1 or 2 calve in May) so we try 1 heat cycle of AI then out with the bull which if they didn't take to their AI service then still would be an early March calf with natural service on the next cycle.

Thanks for the reply. Can you describe" standing heat" to me some more?
Would the use of heat detection stickers be of any benefit with a small group?

Standing heat is when the cow is being rode and she just "stands" there and doesn't try to run off. Very early and late in the heat cycle they won't probably won't stand still when other cows are trying to ride them. Best time to AI is near the end of the heat cycle

Kingfisher":72cgqlni said:
I'm like little boy blue...this should be a good topic/burden for those that AI and those that want to. I've been writing down the days my heifer are in heat but not sure yet how to tell heat, standing heat, gave it s shot of luut heat, guys coming with the straws they better be in heat, and all that in between!

Here is a really good video of a power point, with actual live videos, of cows in different phases of heat. It should help you a ton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS6eD6iJJIw

Hope that helps!

Some photos: the black and white cow is on heat
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=77362

As a rule heat behaviour (sniffing, 'soliciting' - that's the head toss, usually directed towards rear - bellowing, unusual restlessness, riding cows) indicate a cow coming into heat, on heat or going out of heat.
Standing to be ridden is a definite sign of standing heat. So is mounting the head of another cow.
Evidence of having been ridden - mud from the other cow's feet, scuffed hair, bald patches across tailhead and rump, triggered heat aids - that were not there 24 hours previous are an excellent indicator of a cow ready to mate right now (if you know the time she was standing, you go standing heat + 12 hours).

and another thread, joyfuljerseys post on first page is a good summary of things to look for
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=91503&p=1132611#p1132611