heat cycle signs

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

In March Dunmovin wisely told me that mucus flow is and isn't a good indicator of heat cycle. I've read mooing for any bull within 5 miles is another. What are some other signs. I only noticed the mucus in Jan and haven't noticed any signs since. My gal is about 11 months now. Dun also told me that it takes until they are about 12-13 months to establish a cycle. Am I just wonderin' for nothing and need to be patient? We won't be breeding her until Oct., so patience is fine with me.

[email protected]

General restlessness, i.e. walking the fence, wandering from cow to cow, etc. Pretty much anything that is unusual for that particular animal.

dun

> In March Dunmovin wisely told me
> that mucus flow is and isn't a
> good indicator of heat cycle. I've
> read mooing for any bull within 5
> miles is another. What are some
> other signs. I only noticed the
> mucus in Jan and haven't noticed
> any signs since. My gal is about
> 11 months now. Dun also told me
> that it takes until they are about
> 12-13 months to establish a cycle.
> Am I just wonderin' for nothing
> and need to be patient? We won't
> be breeding her until Oct., so
> patience is fine with me.

Well, if you have another female in the pen with her, standing to be mounted is a good indication of Estrus. A heifer's first heat will offten cause her to become very anxious, and you may see some slight bloody discharge from the vulva. The over load of hormones makes them fidgety for a while, and they may try riding everything close to them, as they will be very confused do to the hormonmal changes.

[email protected]