heat cycle of shorthorn heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
[can someone please tell me how long shorthorn heifers are in heat and how often they come in heat and is it typical for them to act aggressive at that time?
thank you :cboy: [/b]

Well Nonooktowa I would imagine the same as any other cow.
Every 21 days for 12 to 16 hours.
bif

Yearling heifers frequently have 17-18 day cycles. They usually get very "frustrated" with life - bawling, walking the fenceline, pushing other cattle. They "feel" something and don't know what do to about it. I wouldn't actually call it aggressive, but she might be. Each one is different.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2t5oqpt0 said:
Yearling heifers frequently have 17-18 day cycles. They usually get very "frustrated" with life - bawling, walking the fenceline, pushing other cattle. They "feel" something and don't know what do to about it. I wouldn't actually call it aggressive, but she might be. Each one is different.
VERY well put!

This past week I had three shorthorn heifers that cycled at 17 to 18 days. I had real strong previous standing heat and was expecting a 21 day cycle and got a 17 to 18 day cycle. Sure messed up my AI plans.

ebrown512":gkw0c3ws said:
This past week I had three shorthorn heifers that cycled at 17 to 18 days. I had real strong previous standing heat and was expecting a 21 day cycle and got a 17 to 18 day cycle. Sure messed up my AI plans.

We chart the heat cycles on all of the cows. It's not unusual for them to be running along regular as a clock at 18 days then throw a 22 day one at you then go right back to 18 days. Had 3 of them do that this week. The only thing I can lay it to is the weather changes.

dun

Dun, I do the same thing. Even keep track if they are standing am - pm or midday & when I last see them standing. Surprisingly, they usually start & end same time of day. Than, they'll be totally different - go figure. But even, year to year, they tend to cycle about the same. Heifers usually start out 16-18 days than increase with age.

That's the reason I keep previous years heat charts. Gives me a better idea of which ones start cycling soonest post calving and how long (generally) between heats.
We record the same thing but add in if they're standing, chinning or bulling also.
We have one that must have a real problem because nobody, even the gomer will mount her when she's in heat. But see is constantly chinning, never mounting, but she settles first service every year.
That's one of the reasons that knowing your cattle and their vagaries is so important when doing AI exclusively.

dun

Dun, I'm impressed. Thought I was the only nut keeping such records! And you're right, if you want to get 100% bred AI, you best know your cattle. I find that a real "boss" cow, never really gets ridden. I keep track of mounting, jumping, smelling, discharging, swollen - you name it - it's probably written down in my bible.

Latest posts