Heat cycle after calving

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
Ok, one heifer calved 42 days ago and a cow calved 31 days ago. They both have had patches on for 3 weeks. No sign of heat from the 42 day old mom and I thought the 31 day cow was acting different at day 28 she was acting lIke she was checking the others. Chin on a rump or two.

So would they be ready to breed on the next cycle noticed? Would the uterus be in good shape? The first calf heifer and cow are in good condition.

Would one of the other bred cows ride them if they are in heat? Or will I have to be watching for them to be riding someone?
Thanks Scott

Yes some bred cows will still mount. Had one that I was afraid the calf would fall out cause she was past due and still mounting the hot cows.
They should be cycling by now. Some cows are such withces that the other cows won;t ride them. Some will beat the crap out of whoever trys to ride them even when in standing heat.
I know you've heard this before, but "It depends". And some of them will behave differently each year.

The next time she's chinning, AI her and give her a shot of GnRH

I've had many cows bred (natural service) about 3 weeks after calving... Sometimes they don't seem to show standing heat much when they're only around other cows

The uterus goes back in shape pretty quickly. In mares service on the foal heat at about 10 days after foaling will usually result in conception though the statisticians will tell us it is not as high as the following heats but that gives you an idea of how quickly things are ready to go again on a similar size animal.
Ken

Ours are not exhibiting normal heat behaviors over here this season. For instance; we have a heifer that is 21 days tomorrow. We have bred her once (she is an April heifer). Last night (day 19), she was trying to jump the other girls in the group (three cows, and 9 show heifers in that group). No one was interested in jumping her. Checked her again at dusk, around 9PM, and she tried jumping one of the cows, but again, nothing jumping her or even sniffing. First thing this morning, no activity out of anyone, her tail chalk was mostly intact still (a little rubbed, like maybe one of the calves tried to jump her) BUT she had some slime, so we bred her at 11 and will breed her again this PM (gave a shot of Cystereline at the 11AM).
Many of our girls that calved in April are just not showing strong heat cycles, and you have to guess when to breed! We always find this time of year is hard to stick them... but we do it eventually.

The hereford (42 day ) is drawing a little attention this evening, no mounting just a shadow cow. I'll stick a straw of In Sure from Genex in her when the time comes. Should make a nice Baldy .

Bright pink patch, put a straw in her this morning. I'll do it again tonight. And hope for the best. She had a real thick mucus and it seemed like the gun passed the cervix easily.

Personally I wouldn't waste a second straw. You saw standing heat and put semen in the right spot. The rest is up to her. What small advantage you'd get from a second straw is not worth the cost.

cow pollinater":13qgvx8o said:
Personally I wouldn't waste a second straw. You saw standing heat and put semen in the right spot. The rest is up to her. What small advantage you'd get from a second straw is not worth the cost.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

CP if I were you I wouldn't either. I'm new at this, only 1 ai calf on the ground and 2 on the way. Took a class at Genex last July, just starting to see my "fruit".

Unless I can hurt her with 2 straws I feel it is cheap practice. $18 a straw I can afford 2.

My crew and I can dump out a 100 yd concrete slab in 2-3 hours but it might take me 10 minutes to "thread " a cervix. Practice helps.

Way cheaper than keeping a bull. :2cents: :tiphat:

Sob @ you also.

Scott

Latest posts