Heat and humidity

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I'm not one to complain about heat.
I love summertime and can't take the cold, but 100 degrees, high humidity with no breeze is hard on a guy.

Just give me a little breeze to dry the sweat on my brow ... and my crotch
I think I have diaper rash

One of the things I like about the PNW. Here on the coast it is mid 80's today with humidity about 50. East of the Cascades it is pushing 100 today but the humidity is below 20. I can't handle the high humidity that you people have.

Cross-7":1a0ahp97 said:
I love summertime and can't take the cold, but 100 degrees, high humidity with no breeze is hard on a guy.

That is normal weather in the thicket.

Caustic Burno":31fjybq7 said:
Cross-7":31fjybq7 said:

That is normal weather in the thicket.
Getting more and more "normal" around here it seems.

No sense in it. Humidity will choke you to death. I have lived in Aurora, CO and visited Four Corners area. Gets hot, but humidity low. Get in the shade it's good. Here, you're just out of the sun. I can imagine East Tx is about the same or worse. Those Brimmers you guys are always going on about are the real deal this time of year I bet. My cattle get hot. Dangerously hot. I hope I don't have the trouble with it like last year.

I'll give u a tidbit that has helped these limis here, we have switched minerals and went to vitaferm heat mineral. Contains a capsaicin extract that dialates the capillaries near the animals skin and drops their body temp by a few degrees. Downside of the mineral is they eat the crap out of it, first bag only lasted three days with eleven cows

While humidity is awful, I find if I drink as much water as some people would have you believe you need to drink, you just sweat do darned much you're miserable.. I'm not saying you should die of thirst before drinking, but don't drink gallons, and especially not all at once. I have a couple big cups of coffee in the morning, and when I go do irrigation the first one or two lines I'm sweating pretty good, and then I don't sweat faster than it can evaporate and I'm much more comfortable.. Depending on how hot it is I'll have a sip of water here or there, and can immediately notice how much more I sweat.

Stanford777":3ob3d7qc said:
I'll give u a tidbit that has helped these limis here, we have switched minerals and went to vitaferm heat mineral. Contains a capsaicin extract that dialates the capillaries near the animals skin and drops their body temp by a few degrees. Downside of the mineral is they eat the crap out of it, first bag only lasted three days with eleven cows
Diamond V Yeast will lower body temps as well and much less expensive.

talltimber":26v3rrhd said:
No sense in it. Humidity will choke you to death. I have lived in Aurora, CO and visited Four Corners area. Gets hot, but humidity low. Get in the shade it's good. Here, you're just out of the sun. I can imagine East Tx is about the same or worse. Those Brimmers you guys are always going on about are the real deal this time of year I bet. My cattle get hot. Dangerously hot. I hope I don't have the trouble with it like last year.

TB has worked or was employed over in the thicket in the past.
All you need is for him to bring you a truck load of our skeeters to go with the heat and humidity.

No thank you. I finally made it to the hills. The bottoms, they will carry you off with all the irrigation.

Out here, just ticks, chiggers, and flies, but a bunch of them at times.

yall should come to Virginia for the humidity festival...
I call it twin 95s
95 degrees and 95 % humidity is pretty typical for this time of year....
and it lasts for about two months....July and August
and yet we are dry....lot of corn fields are looking pretty rough now...

I think it was the summer of 89 and we watered a 200 acre corn patch with a 20 acre portable pivot. The corn was 7ft tall and we toted the 20' joints of irrigation pipe down the rows. I believe HEII would have been cooler , I've been hot since then but Its nothing compared to that summer. I attribute my tolerance for the heat to it and spend a lot of time in it every year. i'm usually soaking wet and cant tote my billfold or phone this time of the year but a little shade and a breeze feels just like the AC in the house.

M-5":puaendiq said:
I think it was the summer of 89 and we watered a 200 acre corn patch with a 20 acre portable pivot. The corn was 7ft tall and we toted the 20' joints of irrigation pipe down the rows. I believe HEII would have been cooler , I've been hot since then but Its nothing compared to that summer. I attribute my tolerance for the heat to it and spend a lot of time in it every year. i'm usually soaking wet and cant tote my billfold or phone this time of the year but a little shade and a breeze feels just like the AC in the house.

I know how that feels.. in 1997 we broke canada-wide heat records in the valley here, about 108... and guess what we were doing? Pouring a foundation for a greenhouse with a little cement mixer... Irrigating around here right now is about the same.. though it's not 7' high, 3' of tangled up alfalfa is a joy to walk in.. you basically trip yourself along.

At my age I am starting to have little skin cancers taken off mostly on my arms and face.
Have a pretty big new scar from the last one....about 40 stitches on my forearm.

anyhow the doc is on me all the time about sunscreen and covering up....So now I wear a lot of long sleeve tee shirts and a vented sun hat...

wife brought home this shirt the other day and it was mesh and long sleeve and zip up front and I picked it up and decided it was just too heavy....but i wore it this past sunday and with a little breeze it was pretty cool...certainly was not any hotter or heavier than a wet long sleeve tee...

hottest I ever been was in summer of 1984...I was diggin up a septic line from the house to the tank...about 200 feet....by hand cause I didn't have any money for a backhoe or to hire one....using a grubbing hoe and a shovel.
I sat down on the edge of the ditch and came to about an hour later...went back to digging....didn't know for a while how long I had been out....have never been the same man since....lucky I didn't die as I probably had a heat stroke.

put the new line in the next day and covered it up.

Latest posts