heartworm prevention in dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

We have about 75 fox hounds and all get ivomec for prevention of heart worms 1/10 of a cc per 10#'s of body weight you can either inject it or give it orally what ever you prefer but I think any tye of collie or close relation you have to be very careful with what you use to prevent heart worms even some of the more expensive products on the market say to not use this product on collies.

I WILL NOT use any Ivomec type wormer for my Border Collie again. We used the right dosage in a dog formla from the vet several times but the dog got lethargic for a couple days afterward for several days. Switched to another product and have no problems.Works great in sheep and cattle!!

I spoke to my vet about this and he said that he would not use it in any type of herding dog as they can be sensitive to ivermectin. Other breeds, German Shepherds for instance, do quite well with it. As with any drug you do have to be careful about the dosage.

I know Greyhounds are very sensitive,and need special meds,
but never thought that bout Collie types..Learn something new every day. ;-)

I have used pour on Ivomec on dogs for years. My dogs get heartworm pills from the vet every month but there are other dogs around that don’t get anything. So to keep them from infecting my dogs they get Ivomec. It cost almost nothing to treat a 70-pound dog with generic Ivomec.
For the neighbors dog, he gets a dose of Ivomec about 2cc on the back every month or so. The kids seem to bring around a dog every now and then they say has worms so they get a dose. I tell them that if the dog has heartworms it will kill him. And with that known, I treat the dog. I have not had one die yet.

Latest posts