heartworm prevention in dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

mom to 4

Reaction score
We need a board for farm dog questions. I'm not sure where to put this but here goes. I read an article written by a vet a long time ago that you can use ivomec injectable as an oral wormer (including heartworm prevention) in dogs. However it is not safe for use on collies or collie crosses. We just bought 2 Aust. Shepherd pups, and the breeder uses the ivomec on the older pups and adult dogs. She said it had been approved by her vet.

Here's my question: Do any of you do this with your dogs? If so, how about border collies. Are they at all related to a regular collie or is it in name only?

I currently have 4 Australian Shepherds and have several Aussies in years passed. DO NOT use Ivermec on them. There have even been cases reported of reactions in the herding breeds to Heartgard, but my vet assures me that it would take very large amounts (more than the monthly dose you normally give) to create any problems. He didn't beat around the bush though in telling me to not use Ivermec on my dogs.

I completely concur do not use anything unless specifically for dogs and cats.We use revolution on my collies and that is a flee, tick and heart worm medicine that you aply.Also do not use dogs meds on cats they are very sensitive and even flee spray can kill them.By pets are my kids right now and I treat them as good or better then the rest of my family.They don't talk back.

Also we dog need a dog board some farm dogs work as hard or harder than the horses do.

I use a generic version for both of my dogs (per the Vet's instructions) one is a Beagle and the other is a Curr.

I inject it in a hot dog and they eat it with no problem.

I have border collies and only use the pyrantel pamoate. We don't really need to worry about heartworm here so I don't know for sure.

I know some people that make a water diluted mix with Ivomec and give it to their BC's, but I dont know for sure if it is okay??

I spoke with my old vet about this (the one in Iowa)

he said that the amount of medicine a dog needs is so small that is where most people go wrong - they overdose the dog and take out the dog's liver

I decided to go ahead and purchase the heartworm meds for my 3- 75# labs
4.gif

mom to 4":2bsy9mm9 said:
Here's my question: Do any of you do this with your dogs? If so, how about border collies. Are they at all related to a regular collie or is it in name only?

Absolutely not! The dosage and formulation are designed for bovine animals with an entirely different system and metabolism. I wouldn't have a clue how to go about adapting so it was safe for my dogs, and I'm not willing to take the chance. I would say a border collie is related to a collie simply because of the body type, hair coat, and general shape of the head, etc., but I could very well be wrong on that.

Its been done for YEARS-- using the sheep drench is safer to dose(more diluted).Or you can use an insulin syringe with the cattle version.
Border Collies do not have the gene that makes them sensitive--
Do a search --the dosing rates are very common knowledge.

Yes, the dosages are easy to find. What's ironic is that the dosages for dogs actually end up giving the animal less per pound of the actual drug than the Heartguard made for dogs. Also, if you use Heartguard for a 60 lb dog and buy the 51-100 lb size, you're giving your dog the recommended dose (by heartguard according to their website) for a 100 lb. dog. With the Ivomec, you can be more accurate according to the size of your dog.

And just to be sure that everyone realizes this... Heartguard and Ivomec are both Ivermectin. If a dog is sensitive to one form I think I would be careful about using either one.

msscamp":1y8lbbei said:
If you're comfortable doing it - more power to you. I wouldn't even consider it.

I couldn't agree more. My dogs are part of the family and I would never risk poisoning a family member. The very idea scares me to death. It wouldn't be worth saving a few dollars to risk the loss of a dog.

Here are my two girls - the black tri, Noel, is 5 years old and the red tri, Cinnamon, is 8 months old. Just don't see me experimenting with either of these two!

NoelCinnamon-1.jpg

DrumRunner, those are 2 very pretty girls you have! Aussies, Borders, or one of each? Noel looks a little more like she's a Border Collie, but Cinnamon looks more like an Aussie to me.

Thank you! I'm kinda partial to them myself. :D

Nope, no Border Collie in either of them - they are both registered Australian Shepherds. The puppy is a stinker - just as sweet as they come, but full of mischief. I hope we survive her getting grown. ;-)

I'm looking for a picture of the two males - both blue merles - but not sure I have it with me. May be tomorrow . . .

DrumRunner728":df1zkmi3 said:
The puppy is a stinker - just as sweet as they come, but full of mischief. I hope we survive her getting grown.

my 4 year old yellow lab was always being told - if you live to be 2... then it was if you live to be 3 ...
took her a while but she finally has a brain that works :banana:

md, if I have to wait until she's 2 (God forbid 3) before she turns it down a notch, I think I'll jump off the roof! Just about the time you think you can't take any more of her nonsense and would like to choke her, she jumps in your lap and gives you big, enthusiastic, puppy kisses. Geez!

DrumRunner728":16itsen8 said:
md, if I have to wait until she's 2 (God forbid 3) before she turns it down a notch, I think I'll jump off the roof! Just about the time you think you can't take any more of her nonsense and would like to choke her, she jumps in your lap and gives you big, enthusiastic, puppy kisses. Geez!

She's no dummy! She knows exactly how to get back in your good graces! :lol: :lol: :lol: BTW, ALL puppies are stinkers - the only thing that varies is the degree! ;-)

Oh, she's definitely no dummy. As with most Aussies, you can just see the intelligence in her eyes. She looks at me sometimes with the "I know I'm drivin' you crazy but you adore me" look. Whatcha gonna do? :p

Here are my boys waiting on mom to feed horses. The one on the left is actually the father of the "puppy" on the right. The mother is the black tri in the above photo. The red tri is no relation to any of them.

TheBoys.jpg

DrumRunner728":13zh0i12 said:
Whatcha gonna do? :p

Yes, I know. My dogs would be much better mannered if I could just stop laughing at their antics long enough to discipline them. :oops: :lol: :lol: They know when I'm serious, so it works out ok.

Using ivermectin in dogs is like anything else: safe in the right doseages, poison in the wrong amounts. When we had our Rotty rescue we used ivermectin for heartworm prevention and as a treatment for dogs with heartworms. This was done under the supervision of a vet who we trusted. He had participated in
research using ivermectin for heartworms and had great results. We used it monthly in all of our dogs and followed the regiment for those with heartworms. Had great results and no ill effects. In those with heartworms we saw immediate improvement in the coats and physical condition.

Chris