Hearing protection while operating tractors?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Always see a neighbor wearing the earmuff type protection when out mowing hay, baling and bush hogging on an open tractor. Got me to thinking about it as it gets to me after a while. Wondered how many people did it. I worried that if something went wrong I would not notice it, but he says you can still hear the sounds change. What do others do/

Sometimes I do sometimes I don;t. But at the end of the day if I didn;t wear them I can sure tell the difference even though I'm already half deaf from other things. To keep the boredom down AND get protection you might try some of those muff type radios. They make a day go a lot faster.

kenny thomas":jmrpw3kp said:
I use ear plugs not muffs. After you get used to it you can hear anything that goes wrong.
His muffs are the ones with a radio in them, forgot to mention that.

Seems like I'm not as tired if I wear the muffs. The strange thing is I can hear the implement better with the muffs on, so I can tell if I have something loose or needing grease.

kenny thomas":1nxwu039 said:
I use ear plugs not muffs. After you get used to it you can hear anything that goes wrong.

Same here. The little yellow foam rubbery type.

everyone should but I am one to be talking
I have already lost the hearing in my right ear but it isn't from noise damage
I also need to when I am on the dozer but rarely do

they have also proven that the headphone radios do more damage than the external noise from an exhaust

as for hearing anything going wrong you will feel the change in vibrations alot quicker than you hear them with or without ear plugs

tom4018":3uo481t6 said:
kenny thomas":3uo481t6 said:
His muffs are the ones with a radio in them, forgot to mention that.

I where these religiously as I already have some problems with my right side I think it best to save what I got. You are right about not being so tired at the end of the day if you where them too.

Angus Cowman":2do7zgxf said:
they have also proven that the headphone radios do more damage than the external noise from an exhaust
Is that because people play them to loud?

I looked at his online and they say they limit the volume to a safe level, 82db I think.
I tried google to find anything saying they are harmful with no luck.

tom4018":14ygqtbk said:
Angus Cowman":14ygqtbk said:
Is that because people play them to loud?

I looked at his online and they say they limit the volume to a safe level, 82db I think.
I tried google to find anything saying they are harmful with no luck.
yes, mostly

There called Worktunes , they really muffle the outside sounds and the radio is not that loud , makes a huge difference , you can pick em up for 40-55 dollars , caught em on sale once for 40 bucks.

i dont an wont wear ear plugs because i like to hear clearly whats going on around me an with what im doing.ear pluggs imped hearing a prob.

tom4018":jjseqlos said:
Always see a neighbor wearing the earmuff type protection when out mowing hay, baling and bush hogging on an open tractor. Got me to thinking about it as it gets to me after a while. Wondered how many people did it. I worried that if something went wrong I would not notice it, but he says you can still hear the sounds change. What do others do/

Last RPG took a fair bit of my hearing - I am very protective of what I have left - and yes, you can still detect changes in the noise when wearing ear plugs AND ear defenders.

When you lay in bed at night and listen to machine guns and artillery going off in your ears you will wish you had looked after your hearing a bit better when you age - trust me on this one.

Wear it folks - and especially in the shop when banging on metal.

Cheers

Bez+

Hi! Sorry for bumping, but this topic is so interesting to me and I have something to share with you, guys!

My wife and I have used the Bose units while operating our diesel-powered Grasshopper mowers (we have 'his and hers' units) for 7 or 8 years now. They work great. You don't have to turn your music up loud to hear it and the sound quality is great.

I was always told that if my ears were ringing after doing something, I should have been wearing ear protection. Running a diesel ZTR doesn't seem that loud, but after 4-6 hours on one, your ears ring quite a bit when you get off.

The last year I've almost exclusively used my Shure SE535's. They block out more sound and aren't as cumbersome as the larger headphones. I didn't think I'd like the "in the ear" buds, and I don't care for any of the cheap ones I've tried, but these have been a joy. I'm getting ready to go mow now and have them in my pocket. Here they are with the earpieces I prefer. They put the Bose to shame on pure sound quality. By far the best sounding 'anything' I've ever heard. When I fly, I put them in my ears, turn on a favorite playlist on my iPhone, and go directly to sleep until my wife wakes me and tells me it's time to land. I'd never been able to sleep on a plane before. Sleeping with the Bose was never an option just like it wouldn't be for any over the ears type.

I am almost legally deaf and operating and being around noisy machinery has had it's effect. However I did make a good living and have a good retirement and I am thankful for that. I wear -30dB ear plugs on low noise machines and add -30dB ear muffs on loud things. Trying to keep what little I have left.

Super ear plugs come off ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Soft-Silicone-Corded-Ear-Plugs-Reusable-Hearing-Protection-Earplugs/123519456178?epid=2118347663&hash=item1cc25553b2:g:tF8AAOSwip5cAU92
Note the 3 rings with the dead space between.

To get maximum benefit, push them all the way to your eardrum. Very soft silicon so they don't hurt it but stiff enough to enable you to push them all the way down.
To release, just put your finger on the bottom of the cord, up against the plug and lift slowly and slightly. You'll feel the seal break and out they come.
The blue cord just pushes into the orange plug. If it pulls out, just push it back in. I tried the green soft foam, the can of bean shaped foam ones, the conical shaped ones and these beat them all hands down.

Muffs from Home Depot for about $30.

I wear ear plugs on open stations most any time I'm running something on the PTO. As far as hearing something go wrong though I've found that I usually feel it in the seat of my pants at the same time so I'm sure I won't miss it!

True that noises that might require attention are severely attenuated. However, keeping tabs on things with a glance back now and then works and a good inspection of your equipment before using is always a plus.......along with the grease gun!

I spent countless hours working on tractors as a kid with no ear protection. Seem to be fine at the moment! But when i was about 20 my dad got a bad virus and lost hearing in one ear and got bad tinnitus in the other. From then on he was vigilant about ear muffs and making us wear them to. I actually feel i can hear noises better when something isnt right as it stands out above the general engine noise. Funny story, there was an old water driller, he always had ear muffs on but never on his ears, he had hearing aids on at the same time. Haven't seen him for a while but he was always good to talk to.

Latest posts