Hearing Check

Help Support CattleToday:

maneside

Reaction score
I had gone to see a stallion for my mare. And at the boarding stables they had a 16h skinny sunburnt 90% white, blue eyed paint with a medicine hat, who just happened to be for sale. It was the old story that the owner couldn't pay for his board so it was a deal that I couldn't refuse. He had just turned 4yr.
and had had some formal training so off to my barn we go to get this fellow fattened up. I had made a few comments during his travel and the first few times handling him about how calm he was for his age. Apon arival to my barn the second day he was about 1 acre. from the barn, So I called to him and called. With no respose I started out through the pasture. About 300 feet away he raised his head in shock and just came a running like the wind. (I thought that was weird) So after that it was to the round pen and after about 20 min. It finnaly occured to me that this horse was deaf. My vet came to check him and told me he was born that way, something to due with the white gene. Since then I have came across 1 other 90% white paint with the same thing. Long story to ask if any one has had or heard of this and also wanted to tell people to make sure they check those paints for hearing. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to work with a deaf horse. He is a great horse and we have made great strides in his training, just be carefull if your not willing to put forth the extra time and patients.

The only deaf horse I ever ran into that I knew was deaf was a bald faced blue eyed paint, but the white on the face ran behind the ears (ears where white). This horse is still a pretty good Western Pleasure horse. Her trainer told me she was deaf and also said pretty much the same thing you said about blue eyed horses with the white over the ears. I just wrote it off as one of those tales you don't know wether to believe or not, still don't know that it would be true, I would think there would be as many sorrel deaf horse as bays and blue eye white horses. But I could be easily wrong, haven't heard too much about it.

JMO
Alan

Alan":1tad8sux said:
The only deaf horse I ever ran into that I knew was deaf was a bald faced blue eyed paint, but the white on the face ran behind the ears (ears where white). This horse is still a pretty good Western Pleasure horse. Her trainer told me she was deaf and also said pretty much the same thing you said about blue eyed horses with the white over the ears. I just wrote it off as one of those tales you don't know wether to believe or not, still don't know that it would be true, I would think there would be as many sorrel deaf horse as bays and blue eye white horses. But I could be easily wrong, haven't heard too much about it.

JMO
Alan
JUST FOR FUN :lol:
would this horse (being deaf) be considered, you guessed it, bomb proof. :D I know there are probably other things that could spook it just funnin with ya.

J":jc0tlrye said:
would this horse (being deaf) be considered, you guessed it, bomb proof. :D

Sarcasum on the horse boards! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I like it!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You horesy folk need to lighten up more :roll: ;-) :lol:

J":4tatua44 said:
Alan":4tatua44 said:

JMO
Alan
JUST FOR FUN :lol:
would this horse (being deaf) be considered, you guessed it, bomb proof. :D I know there are probably other things that could spook it just funnin with ya.

No the horse was not "bomb proof" by any means. The trainer said it took alot of extra time to get the horse ready for the arena and they had to be alert for other problems the horse couldn't hear, such as tractors and such. On the other hand, I'm sure load speaker mulfunctions were not a problem, nor did she listen to the judges opinions. :D .

I love humor, I allways wanted to take him to a the Horse Whisper and ask him to whisper to my paint. HEEHEEHEE :roll:
I forgot to mention the odd thing about him is unlike humans he is not mute, he can nicker and whinny like the rest of the horses allthough his timing is usually off :lol:

I have a foal that I believe is deaf. He is a splashed white overo and according to the infomation I have read a large percentage of these horses are deaf. He will be sleeping/sunning in the pasture with the dogs running around barking but won't acknowledge them until they run up to touch him. Then he startles and is on his feet immediately. Just wanted to compare notes with others that have deaf horses.

katysue