Heard a new one today

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Neighbor is buying some mini herfs. Early weaners at 2 months old. For the bargain basement price of 250 each.
What am I missing here ?

A couple weeks ago there was a stunted hereford heifer at the barn, she weighed about 300lbs and was maybe a little more than knee high. She brought 150 bucks. If they would have sold her as a mini she would've brought 1500. :lol2:

niche market? Come round next spring, I'll sell you some 4-day old crossbred dairy heifer calves for $200 each.
That's what the agent told me he was getting for top index calves.

circlew":wp8dw9ps said:
A couple weeks ago there was a stunted hereford heifer at the barn, she weighed about 300lbs and was maybe a little more than knee high. She brought 150 bucks. If they would have sold her as a mini she would've brought 1500. :lol2:

I seen an ad for mini herefords with my dad he just laughed before and said those aint nuthing new had them when i was young back then we called them dwarfs.

Around here the Dexter's are all the rage with the small families wanting a dual purpose beef/dairy animal that EASY TO HANDLE.

From what I see of them, they don't have a single one of those qualities... They don't give much milk (It's OK for their size, but it's still not much), a 8 month old bull calf weighs in at a whopping 400 lbs and has the foulest temper of any animal (small man syndrome), and the cows I've seen were totally flighty and ugly to deal with.

I'll take my docile Frame 9 Shorthorn who weighs in at about 1900 lbs any day over those beasts.

About the Dexter bull calf in question, I was in my friends milking parlour and hand my hand out the dutch doors, and this little guy was stomping and snorting, then he'd come up to me, butt the door a couple times, then lick my hand, then butt it again... What a confused soul he was... And he's just freak if I twitched. I guess I just haven't had any good experiences with Mini breeds.

Nesikep":3c3q0x2c said:
Around here the Dexter's are all the rage with the small families wanting a dual purpose beef/dairy animal that EASY TO HANDLE.

From what I see of them, they don't have a single one of those qualities... They don't give much milk (It's OK for their size, but it's still not much), a 8 month old bull calf weighs in at a whopping 400 lbs and has the foulest temper of any animal (small man syndrome), and the cows I've seen were totally flighty and ugly to deal with.

I'll take my docile Frame 9 Shorthorn who weighs in at about 1900 lbs any day over those beasts.

About the Dexter bull calf in question, I was in my friends milking parlour and hand my hand out the dutch doors, and this little guy was stomping and snorting, then he'd come up to me, butt the door a couple times, then lick my hand, then butt it again... What a confused soul he was... And he's just freak if I twitched. I guess I just haven't had any good experiences with Mini breeds.
:clap: :nod: :lol2: :lol2: Watched a Mini Hereford in a grooming chute at the NAILE a couple years ago. Great entertainment! He had that thing bouncing up and down and getting it up off the floor. Four BIG men trying to get him in control. He was pizzed and wasn't afraid to show it!

I've heard of the dwarf herfs but never heard them called a mini here or seen them go for a premium. Everyone and their brother is getting into cattle here it seems.

I remember looking at them on the computer years ago. One reason this stands out is someone had a female priced at $20,000. They were calling them the "Backyard Breed" because they were suited for a small family raising a limited amount of beef.

slick4591":3pvmai4r said:
I remember looking at them on the computer years ago. One reason this stands out is someone had a female priced at $20,000. They were calling them the "Backyard Breed" because they were suited for a small family raising a limited amount of beef.
if i put something in my backyard that cost 20.000 it better hold water, and have a diving board

ALACOWMAN":191oixrd said:
slick4591":191oixrd said:
if i put something in my backyard that cost 20.000 it better hold water, and have a diving board

:lol2: Then you better have another 20 grand to keep it going. I've owned one pool and it was a hole in the ground you put money into. :nod:

Check out my thread on my new herd bull, it's a mini-something, anyone want to put in a pre auction bid? I'll let you start it at anything you want. gs

circlew":1w8voivp said:
ALACOWMAN":1w8voivp said:

:clap: :clap: I agree on that one! :cowboy:
Only reason I have a pool is because I wanted a bigger boat. Wife said if I get another boat she gets a pool.
100k boat and 39k pool later Boats gone pools still here. I got the short stick in this one because I still have to take care of the pool and pay for it.

hooknline":1xky22ra said:
circlew":1xky22ra said:
ALACOWMAN":1xky22ra said:

:clap: :clap: I agree on that one! :cowboy:
Only reason I have a pool is because I wanted a bigger boat. Wife said if I get another boat she gets a pool.
100k boat and 39k pool later Boats gone pools still here. I got the short stick in this one because I still have to take care of the pool and pay for it.
Stock the pool with fish and fish from the bank!

Dun, I'm considering it. I know codey wouldn't mind, since there is a 5 yer old chartreuse fire tiger crank bait imbedded in the screen from his casting practice.
The wife might have other ideas though.

Just a thought, that dwarfing gene is recessive(I think) so you should be able to buy a bunch of mini herefords and raise good baldie heifers on less feed...
They ran a herd of them through Visalia a few months ago that were pretty nice cows except for the whole being half as big thing... They sold by the pound for the same price that everything else sold by the pound sold for. :D Three bulls and about fifty cows and all were just as quiet as any other horned hereford cattle that I've seen.

Latest posts