health insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Is there any affordable family health insurance available anymore for the self employed?

GMN

My bank offers a decent policy designed for a group of individuals who are business people. If you are in the cattle business, you'd surely qualify. You'd be part of a "group" then.

I took out an additional life insurance policy through that bank (don't need medical) and it is extremely reasonable.

lol.. I think "no" is probably the better answer! My husband and I are both self employed, and it's nearly impossible to find any kind of COMPREHENSIVE insurance! When we get older (over 50) it gets very hard to find anything, and there is so much small print and legal-ese that it's impossible to even understand what the coverage is!

GMN":1rro66oq said:
Is there any affordable family health insurance available anymore for the self employed?

GMN
:lol2: You can't use affordable, insurance, and health in the same sentence, much less find it. As self employed, we pay for ours and it's almost $1000.00 per month. We're both a little under 50 and in relative good health, but this is the best we can do.

Of course, we could always go with indigent care. I'm tempted....

dun":26plnyu1 said:
Doesn;t the milk company offer group insurance?

Yes and that is what we have a family plan just major medical, with a huge deductible. We were thinking of dropping it for a few months to save money, but really we just need to be able to adjust our whole budget someway to get thru this difficult time. Scares me to go without it, I have known people who have gone thru alot who had it but did not have enough coverage or did not have it at all, and what they had to go thru to get it paid off. Is it better to keep it, and have some peace of mind or risk it and drop it until things turn around. Scares me either way. Sure would save a lot of money if we didn't have the expense, and nothing happened. The way it is, with the rates going up every year, I know if the system isn't changed there will come a day when we simply will not be able to afford it.

Gail

I think major medical is what one should have if they can't afford anything else. It will cover the heavy stuff that would otherwise bankrupt most everyone. Sure it won't cover the sniffles and tummy aches. Might not cover the broken arms or legs either. But it can keep you from selling everything you own when cancer and bypass surgery comes along.

My opinion too, if you do have a policy. Find every way possible to keep it enforced. Once canceled you may no longer qualify for another policy due to "existing health" problems. Once you start getting up in age it is going to be harder to find anything at all and that is when you will need it most.

Scared or know you are going to lose your job. Shop out finding a policy and get it going before you are dropped from the one you have. It can help if you already have insurance as you are already "insurable".

Mom's stay in the hospital in 1995 was $59,000.00 and Dad's bypass 6 months earlier was $25,000.00. Can you imagine what they would cost today?

Might take a look at your missouri Blue Cross programs , Kansas has one called affordablue which i got for 250 a month on me , i'm 57 with some cardiac history , i was shocked , they quoted me 500 a month acouple years ago , check it out , I think they might be just a tad hungry for business these days.