Heads Up, TN producers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Theileria orientalis, a tick-borne disease similar to anaplasmosis, is confirmed by the TN State Veterinarian. Evidently affecting calves and first calf heifers more than mature cows.

Theileria orientalis, a tick-borne disease similar to anaplasmosis, is confirmed by the TN State Veterinarian. Evidently affecting calves and first calf heifers more than mature cows.

I had seen that there was a concern for the Asian Longhorned Tick being in West Tenn. I did not know it was in middle.

Edit: I guess we should expect them here, they are in VA, NC, and GA along with other states.

I just googled treatment in Australia and it was reported that Oxytetracycline or Imazol seemed to help early and mildly infected cases but very poor response wi9th advanced cases.

Ken

I just googled treatment in Australia and it was reported that Oxytetracycline or Imazol seemed to help early and mildly infected cases but very poor response wi9th advanced cases.

Ken
Pretty much the same here, similar to anaplasmosis. Catching & treating early and you might save the cow. As far as preventative measures, keeping them out of the woods is not an option for me. But I am diligent about spraying/fly control and have a VFD for CTC in their mineral.

From my vet. It's been reported here also evidently.
Just got a reply from my extension agent saying pretty much the same thing.
Yes its here. The last time I spoke with Justin (the state animal health guy that comes to the stockyard in Jonesville) he said the disease has been seen in several of the counties in southwest VA including Lee. They have found the tick that carries the disease and the disease itself in some cattle and sheep. Good tick control is probably the best thing to help prevent it. The hard thing about it is that the tick does not need a male to reproduce and she can lay about 3000 eggs at a time. That many ticks could make a small calf anemic enough to kill the calf without necessarily even transmitting the disease.

Also from my vet,

I haven't seen a case myself but from what I have read, sometimes they recover but most of the time not. They have tried CTC in the feed and not had much luck. They have had some luck with Baytril, but right now it's illegal to use for that. They are working on getting baytril labeled to use but that is likely to take years...

About 2 months ago we had a seminar put on by several vets and producers because this has gotten to this area also. In fact I think that there are a couple of producers right here in my county that have had cows test positive for it. It seems to have quickly invaded the areas along the I-81 corridor. Once they get over it they are good to go, although one study says the cow can be a carrier; but you can have the abortions and other weakness and refusal to walk. It is going to be one more of a long list of having to try to control this asian longhorn tick along with all the other things we do to slow down and prevent parasites of all kinds on our animals. The general consensus is that insecticide "fly tags" do help to keep the ticks from getting on the animals as much.

Also from my vet,

I haven't seen a case myself but from what I have read, sometimes they recover but most of the time not. They have tried CTC in the feed and not had much luck. They have had some luck with Baytril, but right now it's illegal to use for that. They are working on getting baytril labeled to use but that is likely to take years...
Kenny, can't find it now but I posted about Baytril 100-CA1 a couple years ago. It's available at PBS Animal Health - but cannot ship to half the states in the US.

In southern Ohio too.
Yeah it's tick haven here. I'm sure if there is a kind of tick or tick disease, we have it. Starting in about August for a few months is the wonderful time of seed ticks. Go out without spraying down and you get to enjoy picking off teeny tiny devil spawns by the hundreds…yay…

We have noticed more ticks here this summer it seems like. Started funding them early as soon as the weather started warming up. Getting one or more a few times 3 off of us or the dogs about every day. Most all of them have been dog ticks, there have been a couple that seemed different, that I wondered if they were the longhorn ticks,

Yeah it's tick haven here. I'm sure if there is a kind of tick or tick disease, we have it. Starting in about August for a few months is the wonderful time of seed ticks. Go out without spraying down and you get to enjoy picking off teeny tiny devil spawns by the hundreds…yay…
Hundreds? I've found maybe eight so far this year. You make sure you keep them down south.

Hundreds? I've found maybe eight so far this year. You make sure you keep them down south.

Definitely hundreds when it comes to the seed ticks late summer. They are tiny like poppy seeds and I'm pretty sure they form pods or wait in masses and you don't know until it's too late. Usually you first know because you feel things crawling all over.

I grew up around central Ohio and lived in NE Ohio and never encountered anything like it until I moved down here. I also never had a tick on me in the winter time until moved down here. Thankfully treating my boots and clothes works or Id probably move. Lol.

Definitely hundreds when it comes to the seed ticks late summer. They are tiny like poppy seeds and I'm pretty sure they form pods or wait in masses and you don't know until it's too late. Usually you first know because you feel things crawling all over.

I grew up around central Ohio and lived in NE Ohio and never encountered anything like it until I moved down here. I also never had a tick on me in the winter time until moved down here. Thankfully treating my boots and clothes works or Id probably move. Lol.
Article on Fox News this morning, they are raising quail and releasing them in New York to help control the tick population.

I was at a veterinary continuing education meeting last week. BI drug reps told us that practices in Stewart Co., TN and surrounding areas had diagnosed several herds infected with Theileria orientalis. So... it's literally at my back door.
At present, no approved treatment for clinically-affected animals or vaccine to prevent infection. Tick control looks to be Job #1, and about all you can do.

Latest posts