Heads up on fence materials.

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Steel prices have been at a decade low. Looks that is about to change. I talked to a supplier this morning. Was told his restock price on wire and tpost was already up about 10% and its expected to continue to climb. I'm going to spend some money today. If you've got a big project , you might want to consider getting your steel now.

Is it me, or have they never changed since steel prices bottomed out? Seems like I've been paying the same for the last 8 years I've been re-fencing the farm, both posts and wire. Guess it could have dropped a couple bucks and I didn't notice it.
Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the heads up!!
I'm still buying mostly utility poles for corners tho. Surprised they are still just $.50/ft in Houston and they'll cut 'em any length ya want. Them creosoted posts don't weld too good tho.

Thanks I just bought some fencing panels and high tensile wire so im glad I did ... I hope steel prices do go up I got a ton of scrap to sell lol

Kinda makes me want to buy some fencing for another pasture but i dont know if/when it will get fenced and dont really want to spend the money just to have it sitting around the barn

ez14":2jb28233 said:
Kinda makes me want to buy some fencing for another pasture but i dont know if/when it will get fenced and dont really want to spend the money just to have it sitting around the barn

I would buy it and hold onto it because if you wait you will just pay more later and I look at it as im going to be fooling with cattle so im sure I will use it eventually.

skyhightree1":1i0bntxk said:
Thanks I just bought some fencing panels and high tensile wire so im glad I did ... I hope steel prices do go up I got a ton of scrap to sell lol

Yeah, I need to get rid of some of my 'shabby chic/collectible ' stuff too.

greybeard":1mdh1qni said:
skyhightree1":1mdh1qni said:

Yeah, I need to get rid of some of my 'shabby chic/collectible ' stuff too.

:lol2:

I was paying 2.25 a foot for good pipe around 2005. Now I'm paying .85

About a year ago we were getting .12 cents for our trash. Now we're getting.03....

The way I see it. It's better than gold

skyhightree1":2gip5zbn said:
ez14":2gip5zbn said:

I would buy it and hold onto it because if you wait you will just pay more later and I look at it as im going to be fooling with cattle so im sure I will use it eventually.
yeah i probably should buy it soon i will use it someday now i should buy a measuring wheel so i can figure out how much i need

When you guys fence do you use a measuring wheel to figure out how much you need?? If not how do you figure it out

Field measure app on my phone most of the time. I have a wheel also and use it on crooked runs. I also step a lot off I can be within a inch or 2 on short runs and long runs im only off a couple feet max. but I been walking for a about 50 yrs so I trust it.

ez14":1b1y2t3y said:
skyhightree1":1b1y2t3y said:
ez14":1b1y2t3y said:

yeah i probably should buy it soon i will use it someday now i should buy a measuring wheel so i can figure out how much i need

When you guys fence do you use a measuring wheel to figure out how much you need?? If not how do you figure it out

I use wheel for final bid or Bill. Survey or phone app's often miss hills and valleys that add footage...I'll figure materials off a survey, range finder or phone app's. But to give a customer a firm number I always use the wheel

Local place is currently having their 37th annual spring open house sale. 1.33 lb T-posts (not Red Brand) are priced as follow in quantities of 200 or more. 5 clips included per post:

5 1/2 ft $3.99
6' $4.50
7' $5.25

Red Brand 12.5 ga barbed wire is $61.25 per roll in pallet quantities of 27 rolls per pallet.

Beckaert HIgh Tensile ZA barbed wire is $53.65 per roll in pallet quantites of 36 rolls per pallet.

Beckaert HIgh Tensile woven wire in 330' rolls is priced from 32" high at $127.50 up to 96" high at $497.50 6 other sizes available in between.

CCA treated Black Hills Ponderosa Pine/Montana Lodgepole Pine posts are priced from 3 1/2"x6'6" at $5.65 to 6"x16" at $43.50 in bundle quantites. Ask about semi load discounts.

#1 Fir railroad ties are priced at $10.95 each in bundle quantities or $9.50 in semi load quantities delivered.

2"x 31' 6" steel drill stem is priced at $40/stick. 2 3/8" at $39.50 and clips are 55 cents each. 2 7/8" at $48.50 and clips are 65 cents each.

Steel oil pipe posts are 2 3/8"x8' at $16.25, 2 3/8"x10' at $21.15, 2 7/8"x8' at $18.75, and 2 7/8"x10' at $24.18

2 3/8" fiberglass drill stem is $15/stick.

W guard rail 12"x13'6" is $3.20/ft 12"x26' is $3.10/ft. Tri beam guard rail 20"x13'6" is $58.

Black I-beam is 12' and 14' at $4.30/ft. 40' is $4.19/ft.

Galvanized I-beam prices are 8' at $27/each, 11'6" at $39, and 13'6" at $55.

Steel sucker rod comes in 25' lengths. 3/4" is $11. 7/8" is $13.25. 1" is $14.50. Nail or lag clips are 45 cents each.

Galvanized and primed supersteel is $1.15/sq ft in 24'6" lengths. 5% discount for full bundles.

4'Wx24'Lx1 1/8" thick megapanel is $1.66/sq ft. 4'Wx16'Lx i1" thick megapanel is 78 cents/sq ft.

More prices on lots more stuff at http://store.cammackranchsupply.com/