Headgate ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred Belknap

Reaction score
What is your perfered headgate? I ran some cattle through mine today and some of them just could get through it. I have a Powder River manual gate. I tried the automatic gates and had problems with that. Just wondering what most of you used.
Fred

We have self catching headgates. One is on a Mr Squeeze chute, and the other 2 we have are Two W, I think. I much prefer them to any manual ones. We do have the odd cow get through, but usually those ones are much easier to catch the second time around. If I have to I can put a cow/s through by myself. Things work better with help, but I can do it if I have to.

A squeeze can be a great thing, but we went over 10 years without one, without having too many problems. Really the only time we actually use the squeezing action is when we are branding. Otherwise, it is just an extension of the chute. The only other time I find it really handy is at pregchecking time, and that is because of the palpation cage. We are running about 180 head at the moment.

I guess the best way to decide if you really need it (or rather just want) would be to look at how many cattle you have, and how often you would actually need the squeeze. Except for branding, it is a pretty rare occaison to use the squeeze action. If you are running less than 50 head, a $5000 squeeze is pretty expensive toy. But, you can find some good used ones, and if you settle for the basics you should be able to find one for less than $1500.

A headgate with some heavy duty gates that can be swung open and some coral panels will make a good working facility. Not as handy as a chute, but substantially less money. We too rarly use the squeeze funtion, but when you need it, nothing beats it.

Whatever you choose, I'd vote for the self-catching. Ours is manual..and we've had the bull in it three times recently which meant my husband manipulating the bull and me working the headgate... I hate it. Its a home-made chute (which I'll admit is sturdier than all-get-out) and not sure of the maker of the headgate but go automatic!!!!

I used to have a Quickway automatic head gate at the end of my chute. Finally got a squeeze chute a couple of years ago and I really like. It's a Powder River XL with manual head gate (catch).

The automatic catch quickway would miss about one out of ten, especially the ones with horns. The manual headgate works just fine and you got nobody to blame when one gets missed.

I have worked with the $40K hydraulic powered units, and just a plain old head gate on the end of the chute. Both have their place.

I can manage just about everything with a headgate and many things with just a medina gate. Sometimes it is a bit more cumbersome than other times, but it can be managed.

What I don't understand is buying an expensive system, and then not doing surgery yourself. Some people tie up a lot of nickels in equipment, then haul everything to the vet. All they really needed was a head gate to administer innoculations or castrate etc.

When we bought our place there was an old Silver King chute in place. The chute works fine but the head gate is a scissor gate which I hate. I would like to retrofit it with a self catch manual gate. Any suggestions?

nap":hog4lps8 said:
When we bought our place there was an old Silver King chute in place. The chute works fine but the head gate is a scissor gate which I hate. I would like to retrofit it with a self catch manual gate. Any suggestions?

Priefert has a self catch scissor type headgate (which I prefer over the swinging ones), that can be retrofitted to just about anything.

I finally checked the name on mine. It is a "Filson" self catch. Bought it used (paint still in tact and barn kept) for $250. You have to assist it closed unless the cows are moving hard into it. You have to adjust the opening width (push it closed a little) for light heifers and steers. Other than that, it works fine. It is a swing catch type and about the only thing I have not modified - yet.

backhoeboogie":3p5cddj0 said:
I finally checked the name on mine. It is a "Filson" self catch. Bought it used (paint still in tact and barn kept) for $250. You have to assist it closed unless the cows are moving hard into it. You have to adjust the opening width (push it closed a little) for light heifers and steers. Other than that, it works fine. It is a swing catch type and about the only thing I have not modified - yet.

I have a portable Filson squeeze. I bought it very used. The headgate is manual and it has no palp cage. It was very rusty and I had to put a floor in it. It works really well for $600. I do wish it had the palp cage. I just couldn't muster up another $3000 for the new powder river that I wanted :cry2: .

dyates":1xci1f77 said:
I do wish it had the palp cage.

Modify it to add the palp window. A drop hinged pipe on a pipe sleeved window with sucker rod welded in for panel wouldn't cost you $100 if you buy the metal store bought.

Remember to round off all sharp corners with a grinder when you are done. :D

We have a Filson squeeze in one corral, and a Powder River head catch in another. The powder river is bigger and beefier than the filson. The Filson has a squeeze, but like everyone else, we rarely use it. Hold on to that powder river catch, best in the biz in my opinion. Should be all you need. Buying a squeeze isn't worth it really, unless you find a steal on one. We used to do everything without even a head catch. Just had a "snubbin post" to tie the cow to when we needed to. When I built my new corral I put one in there as well. Old habits die hard I guess.

To me the most important thing is safety for the animal and more importantly for you. I think this is a place where you really don't want to skimp on cost. A good squeeze and palpation cage are well worth the upfront cost and will greatly diminish the possibility of a disaster that could result in a far greater cost.

I have a WW squeeze that was given to me. It is the least used piece of equipment that I own. The cows hate the thing. I can have all the work done I normally need to do on them in the chute in way less time than it takes me to get them into the squeeze. The biggest benefit is that the cows stay calm. AI is even better in the regular pipe chute. Just close the gate in front of them and put a pipe behind them. It's wam bam thank you mam. In a squeeze they get upset, some go to their knees, others just fight. Conception rates are far greater not using the squeeze. About the only thing I found a head gate good for is dehorning, or getting the halter on my spotter. The squeeze is used for branding, udder work, nut removal, and the like.
With that being said I realize there are cattle that need to be worked in a squeeze. F1 Brafored calves that were just weaned for example. I have worked cattle for the better part of my life with out the aid of head gate or squeeze. They are not mandatory, but in many cases they sure make life a lot easier.

We have a WW headgate but dont' use it that much. Basically just push the cattle up to the headgate and then put a pipe behind her...palpate, breed or whatever in that position. About the only time we actually use the headgate is when applying ear tags, tattooing and branding.

TNMasterBeefProducer":39k1oy9p said:
novatech":39k1oy9p said:
I have a WW squeeze that was given to me. It is the least used piece of equipment that I own. The cows hate the thing. I can have all the work done I normally need to do on them in the chute in way less time than it takes me to get them into the squeeze. The biggest benefit is that the cows stay calm. AI is even better in the regular pipe chute. Just close the gate in front of them and put a pipe behind them. It's wam bam thank you mam. In a squeeze they get upset, some go to their knees, others just fight. Conception rates are far greater not using the squeeze. About the only thing I found a head gate good for is dehorning, or getting the halter on my spotter. The squeeze is used for branding, udder work, nut removal, and the like.
With that being said I realize there are cattle that need to be worked in a squeeze. F1 Brafored calves that were just weaned for example. I have worked cattle for the better part of my life with out the aid of head gate or squeeze. They are not mandatory, but in many cases they sure make life a lot easier.

When we ai'd we got em in the head gate, put a pipe behind em. The vet pulled their tale up got in there and got out with minimal stress. Course my vet is crazy and preg checks by grabbing a cows tail pulling it up and going in whether she is in a head gate or not.

I agree he or she is crazy. I think a good chute and a palpation cage are a necessity.

One of the best I have used is the Tox-O-Wic. They used to have a display at the WV State Fair.Another good one is the Big Valley.Both are sold in Staunton,VA.

nap":2c1mrjbt said:
I agree he or she is crazy. I think a good chute and a palpation cage are a necessity.
If that were true then there would never be a longhorn AI'd.
I only use them as a last resort, not the standard practice.
Actually the best chute for AI is a dark box open only frrom the rear.