Headgate sizes

Help Support CattleToday:

wade

Reaction score
I brought back a headgate from Iowa. It doesnt appear to open wide enough to run big cows through it. I have done some looking on the web and found most of them open up to around 27-28 inches wide. It looks fine for heifers and calves but big cows? Will most fit through these opening sizes?

It will be interesting to see where this Post goes. After looking at a number of headgates I designed one and a welder is building it for me now. It is a manual gate. Right hand side folds in and left side closes like a Stanchion. It opens to 36 inches wide and will close to 5 inches wide. My chute also closes from the side as well as the rear. It will take a 100lb calf as well as a 2500 lb bull. The reason for the stanchion side is so we can use it for the few Longhorns we have.

I have a question relating to it. We like to use the self catching headgates so when hubby fusses at me too much & I leave him to work by himself it's easier for him (joking, joking). We need a new one for a lease pasture and we want one that will release the cow by opening to the inside. Most of them only open a certain distance to the inside so the cow cant sneak through when your trying to catch her and they release the animal by swinging to the outside. Does anyone know of a brand that releases by swinign inside? Thank you.

Will most fit through these opening sizes?

I have two older model Pearson Chutes. I have not measured the openings on the chutes but my lane that leads to them is about 40 feet long and was built 28 inches wide. I have sent 1700 - 2000 pound females and a 2600 pound bull through it with no trouble.

Does anyone know of a brand that releases by swinign inside?

These self catching headgates on Pearson chutes will release to the inside but when it is set at a certain point to catch animals as they come in it will not be open far enough for the animal to exit the chute. What Im tring to say I guess is that alot of times cattle tend to pull backwards when they are caught in the headgate. With these chutes you may release them backwards and then open it forward to let them out.Sorry but I am not familiar with any other brands of self catching gates.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

I couldn't afford to buy a headcatch so I built my own. It opens to 28 inches and I run my Longhorns through it. It takes a little bit for them to get through buy it's kind of fun to watch them manuver their horns through it.

Shorthornguy,

Would like to see a picture of your chute when it's done.

Bobg

Bobg":2zzl9mll said:
I couldn't afford to buy a headcatch so I built my own. It opens to 28 inches and I run my Longhorns through it. It takes a little bit for them to get through buy it's kind of fun to watch them manuver their horns through it.

Shorthornguy,

Would like to see a picture of your chute when it's done.

Bobg

Bobg, I would like to see a pic of yours. I need to build a new one, and looking for ideas. Thanks,
Mac

These self catching headgates on Pearson chutes will release to the inside but when it is set at a certain point to catch animals as they come in it will not be open far enough for the animal to exit the chute. What Im tring to say I guess is that alot of times cattle tend to pull backwards when they are caught in the headgate. With these chutes you may release them backwards and then open it forward to let them out.Sorry but I am not familiar with any other brands of self catching gates.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com[/quote]

Thank you for your comments. Those are the only kind we can find the ones that will open only a little to the inside to release the cow and then have to swing to the outside for her to go out. We want one that will open all the way to the inside so its ready for the next cow coming through because those crzay tigerstripes like to come through with their head under the one in the front of her lol. Thanks again.

Why is this in the Breeds Board? The same reason there are horse pictures on the Beginners Board? :lol: :lol:

Our head gate is larger than the run leading to it. the run is only 26" and while our bulls drag as they go down the sides none have trouble getting through.
The tendency it to make working facilities way to wide!

Double A Ranch":34g7qfv0 said:
We want one that will open all the way to the inside so its ready for the next cow coming through because those crzay tigerstripes like to come through with their head under the one in the front of her lol.

You don;t use the back gate so that you only get one at a time?

dun

dun":3w48n7zi said:
Double A Ranch":3w48n7zi said:
We want one that will open all the way to the inside so its ready for the next cow coming through because those crzay tigerstripes like to come through with their head under the one in the front of her lol.

You don;t use the back gate so that you only get one at a time?

dun

Haha! We try to but sometimes with tigerstripes, they come fast and low so sometimes theres one in the headgate & another trying to get in the chute with her. The more you try to make the second one move back the more likely she is to lay down. Anyone else raise F1s with any otehr suggestions. The scissor headgates wrok ok and I like them better but sometimes if your by yourself the selfcatching are a necessity.

I bought a head gate I saw laying in a field...for $100.00.

Just the gate no chute, this one looked almost new but no brand name on it, it opens 24" wide. I have a small operation after culling for the winter im down to 3 heffers, (feeds high here too) but i built a chute and mounted the head gate at the end, the chute is 26 feet long and comes off a large pen... my chute is 26" wide and seems plenty wide enough. I ran a 9 mo old brahman into it tonight to ear tag her and the chute was almost too wide it is just barely narrow enough they cant turn but i narrowed the bottom from the ground up 26" to 18"wide to keep em from turning. it worked very well tonight.. I was real pleased with it. total investment was under $250.00
so for those that dont have and think they cant afford one you can .... just my 2 cents... ps its all wood and calf panel except for the head gate its self...and plenty strong to hold a big bull..
headgate_3.JPG

head_gate_2.JPG

That is exactly like the one I brought back from Iowa. It has a tag on it saying Priefert Chute Gate. I have no idea what model though.

heres a picture of that head gate on the home made chute

DSC00989.JPG

I know yer thinking that aint too strong but I assure you it is.. those poles the gate is on go 5 feet deep and are in 800 pounds of concrete per pole... the side poles go in about 4 feet and have 320 pounds of concrete per pole.. then it is all tied together... when ya aint got the $$'s a make due with what ya gots.... :cboy:

Bill:

Thanks for that pict. I need to do something similar, so glad to see what you are doing. Anyone else care to post their chutes and gates?

Billdevaul my setup is kind of like yours. I'm going to use wire panels with a 2x6 across the top on most of my corral. I built the holding pen and alley way out of railroad ties and telephone posts with 2x6's. My alley way is not finished yet, but it will work until I can get some more posts put in. I'll try and take a picture of it and post.

Bobg

So, will a cow's or bulls ribs collapse enough to make it though a 28 inch gate? I was looking at my bull today, and he is a lot wider than 28 inches.

Here's a picture of my small corral setup and head catch that I built. The small holding pen on the right is 12' x 16' made out of 2x6's and a pipe gate with wire panel. The alley way narrows down to 28 inches, when I had my horned Herford bull (1800 #'s) he would go right through my old alley way and the headcatch in the picture. I'm not quite done with the alley way it just need to find some time to dig in some more ties.

Hope the pictures aren't too big.

Corral.jpg

Headcatch.jpg