Headgate Question

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I am building a corral I mainly want to use for calves but may have the occasional cow come through it from time to time to give shots or something. I plan on using 6x6's and putting the post in the hole 36" deep with a 9 inch hole that will be concrete filled. Do you all think that's deep enough ? How deep are the poles on some of you that use head gates ? :help:

Are you just using two 6X6's or are you setting multiple posts in an alley form with all posts tied together? If just two posts a cow will have them leaning in no time.

J&D Cattle":18thu7yl said:
Are you just using two 6X6's or are you setting multiple posts in an alley form with all posts tied together? If just two posts a cow will have them leaning in no time.

It will be an alley way where it will have 4 -4x4 posts same depth and concrete with wood screwed from headgate to last post if you know understand what im saying. I have one set up in same manner its held well but I cant remember how deep the railroad ties are that the headgate is bolted too.

J&D Cattle":2kmzwhem said:
36" works fine in my soil and would hold plenty fine fixed in the manner you described.

Thanks J&D I been racking my head over it cause I wasn't sure. I do know one thing its too hot to be fooling with it lately and at the rate im going it shall be finished in 2020 :lol2:

TennesseeTuxedo":37nwqgot said:
are you talking square pressure treated 6x6s?

If so, it won't hold up.

Yes, That's what im talking about. Why won't they hold up ? What goes bad? I am not being argumentative seriously wondering what will go wrong? How long will it be before they won't hold up ?

M-5":1pvvbra7 said:
Concrete and pressure treatment cause post to rot. Put them four foot deep use Sand to pack them

Oh yea I know about that portion that they wont last as long with concrete on them.. I thought he meant that the post would twist or something like a landscaping timber. If it will last 10 years i'm good with that by then my son can fix it and make the repairs for me :lol:

Should be fine . make them tall enough so you can put a header. That will have them braced in 2 directions. I'd use pipe. I understand why some don't

M-5":3w4dskoe said:
Why are you building it for calves when you are going to move back to breds

I still have cows that I will need to work their calves too.

fenceman":3w4dskoe said:
Should be fine . make them tall enough so you can put a header. That will have them braced in 2 directions. I'd use pipe. I understand why some don't

Thanks for the tip

This is current headgate up I had told yall about

ResizedImage_1435112319003_zpsf075eb64.jpg

In this set-up it would be easy to add a header board/roof. I would also suggest you add a side gate for times when you need to help a calf nurse or work on a foot.If, by unhappy chance, one goes down they are easier to get out than taking the headgate out. :2cents: less .01

JW IN VA":1m10ox7l said:
In this set-up it would be easy to add a header board/roof. I would also suggest you add a side gate for times when you need to help a calf nurse or work on a foot.If, by unhappy chance, one goes down they are easier to get out than taking the headgate out. :2cents: less .01

Thanks for suggestion. Yea I had planned on a lil roof and putting lights up around the corral and under the roof over the headgate

msplmtneer":1gkuivkj said:
Before you put the posts in put heavy duty garbage bags on them then set them.
We did that 35 years ago with my BILs garage and it is still standing solid.

Thanks... I will try that I also have thick plastic that you use to put down in conditioned crawlspaces I could wrap it with too

Latest posts