Headgate question

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a Priefert headgate. The instructions printed on it say to use a 7 ft. small chain over the head. I do not understand this. I need to restrain the cows head better than just the gate for ear tagging and shots. The gate has a loop to presumably attach a chain on one side and two small slots on the side near the handle. I also have nose pliers that I have never used with a small chain attached. Can anybody explain the best way to restrain the head after you have the gate clamped down? Thank you.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

The chain that you mention attaches to the head gate on the side away from the handle (unless you have moved the handle to the other side). To restrain the head, you run the chain over the top of the head and hook it on the slot on the other side of the head gate so the cow cannot raise it. Then you bring the chain back across the nose of the animal and hook it on the far side. This is to keep the cow from rotating its head. If you contact your prifert sales rep they have a good sales brochure that has a good picture of how it looks when you do it right.
<br>

[email protected]

I have used the nose tongs and they work, but on wilder cattle I have to get way too close to apply them properly. No one wants to get too close and get a busted nose because the cow lunges while your too close to her head.<p>I have seen and have begun to use a rope halter which seems to be easier on my part and holds the animal tightly. You may already have a rope halter that you could try and you wish to purchase a cheap one and give it a try.<p>I don't know anything about the chain mentioned but it may work just as well.<p>: The chain that you mention attaches to the head gate on the side away from the handle (unless you have moved the handle to the other side). To restrain the head, you run the chain over the top of the head and hook it on the slot on the other side of the head gate so the cow cannot raise it. Then you bring the chain back across the nose of the animal and hook it on the far side. This is to keep the cow from rotating its head. If you contact your prifert sales rep they have a good sales brochure that has a good picture of how it looks when you do it right.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

<A HREF="http://www.priefert.com/images/headchain.ipg">www.priefert.com/images/headchain.ipg</A>

I rarely use a nose lead on a unrestrained critter. u shouldn't need it for ear tagging or dehorning with critter in the chute & head chain attached.. I have used them when sawing off a horn. U place the lead in the nose & tie off the lead to the side of headgate so it is taunt. This keeps the critter from moving head any at all.

Latest posts