Headgate brand?

Help Support CattleToday:

SDM

Reaction score
The pen design thread made me wonder, who makes the best headgate? Not the whole squeeze chute, just the headgate. What design type do you like best? Locally I think I can get Priefert and Tartar. Do the automatic catch ones reliably catch smaller stuff, say 400#? This can be a one man operation at times.

Tartar's are junk in my opinion. We have a Priefert Model 91 at each farm and like them. I've only used their automatic catch function a couple of times but it did work. I like their functionality a lot better than the saloon door type automatics. I've used several Foremosts and liked those as well.

I agree with J&Dcattle, about the Tarter products. I don't have any experience with Preifert but am sure it would be worth the extra cost over the Tarter. We have a Formost, with an automatic head gate. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't adjust down small enough for calves around 20o or so lbs. or smaller. sometimes larger calves with narrower heads will slip through but the chute is made with stops and comes with a bar that can be placed behind them and moved up as needed, and will hold those calves. I reckon this gate has a saloon type opening that you are describing. It can be used as a one person operation, but I always try to pull the headgate in some so that they can't run on through and get their hips caught.
a lot of times if they start to go on through they will balk and pull back thus opening the gates wider. At that point if I can't get around to reposition the gate before they go forward they can get their hips caught, So far we have been able to take the adjustment bolt out of the head gate and free the animal without much problem. It works a lot better with someone manning the head gate.

Preifert auto/manual.
I like it but it is noisy, kinda heavy on the handle and you got to use it or operate it frequently and keep a can of WD40 handy.

preifert no doubt.

i havea preifert calf chute coming in soon.

I prefer the Preifert. Ours is, at least,20 years old or more. Works almost good as new.

The Preiferts were, by far, the better product they had. They also had a few products from Tartare, and Powder River, but the Preifert stuff was the best.

I dislike the saloon door style head catch. Agree on Tartar squeeze chute. I had one for a couple months. Hip locked a heifer and that was enough for me. Sold it on Craigslist and bought the Priefert SO4.

We have changed all of ours to Formost manual gates.

Used to have a Preifert auto catch at one place and would always lose one or two. And, as mentioned, I had to modify it to catch smaller calves.

Bright Raven":1uxq349l said:
I dislike the saloon door style head catch. Agree on Tartar squeeze chute. I had one for a couple months. Hip locked a heifer and that was enough for me. Sold it on Craigslist and bought the Priefert SO4.
Good lord yes..those doors are outright pita and I hated the old one my dad had.
Looked at a tarter when TSC sold them..tinker toys.
I've never used a Foremost that I remember, but have heard some good things about them.

Latest posts