headgate auto catch

Help Support CattleToday:

nobull82

Reaction score
I have a preifeirt model 91 headgate and today is the first time I tried to use the auto catch on a cow but it didn't work. Is there a trick to it? I've watched videos and played around with it when I got it and I did everything right as far as I'm aware.

on my auto catch the cows can unlock it occasionally by throwing their head straight up into the latch. on wild cows I run a crowbar over it to block it.

you have to close it part way where just the head can fit through.

Set it so that the pin is just barely engaged by the hole. It's a really sensitive setting. If the pin is too far into the hole it takes a lot more of a jolt to trip it.

I took a file and slicked up all the release points and put oil on them also. Mine is in the dry which keeps it from rusting much and as said above just barely engage the release points and it will work. Mine works good even on small calves.

I did have the pin barley in the hole, I'm sure Iwill have to use it again so next time i will have it set more sensitive on the pin.

The spring was engaged.being the first time I've used the auto catch part I wasn't sure if others had problems with it to.

I had to pull a calf from a heifer today and I had it barley on the pin. I think I had it in the middle hole and I'm thinking I had it set to narrow because she barely hit it hard enough to close. I had it set as sensitive as I could. What hole do you use for heifers and cows?

For heifers I use the end and not a hole or just the first hole. The problem I have is most of them just walk up and stick their head through and don;t touch the headgate. Then I have to reach up and flip it by hand.

Latest posts