Headgate and chute questions

Help Support CattleToday:

wlhedges

Reaction score
I have a 28" wide alley way 8' long leading to the headgate, My Blue Mule headgate in the wide open position is about 24" wide, I just bought a 8 year old Hereford cow that i want to A.I. next month, I'm not sure what the cow weights, but just looking, there is no way that cow is going to fit in the alley way, and go through the headgate. I also want to A.I. a 15 month old heifer that will fit through the chute and headgate with no problem, My question is, should I make the alley way wider, and try to back the cow out, or am I going to have problems. any suggestions.

28 inches is about standard for alleyways. You may have to run her into the alleyway and AI her there then back her out instead of running her through the chute.

Do what dun suggested or have a look at the bottom of the headgate where the two sides of the gates hinges, often there is an option to move the gates wider at the bottom, that usually solves the headgate problem.

redcowsrule33":2cvxvfcz said:
If you can't widen the headgate back her out, nothing sucks worse than a cow stuck 1/2 way through.
:nod: had a cow get stuck 1/2 way through a creep feed gate. fortunately it was tied to posts (not on creep feeder but going into a calf pen) or she'd have been headed out of town with it wrapped around her waist. Had to get the sawzall out and cut it apart.

I have an update, I went with KNERSIE advise and on my headgate there is a couple of stops welded to the bottom pipe that the doors slide on, I grinded them off, now the headgate opens all the way up, that was the only adjustment I could find to do, I put the old girl through twice, and now if she just remembers to suck her big gut in on the way through she'll be fine... thanks everyone.

It is good you have foresight into potential issues. Cows can and will go down in the chute. It is not fun when it happens. In my life time I have seen two die in name brand commercial squeeze chutes. I have seen one go down in an awesome high dollar hydraulic unit. We saved her and this unit was the best I have ever seen.

If you cannot adjust the gap, consider modifying it.

Most units have a side gate. Rather than completely backing her out, you can pull her head back and let her out of the side if you can rig it. If she is half way through, that option is out.

backhoeboogie":2pk1blu1 said:
It is good you have foresight into potential issues. Cows can and will go down in the chute. It is not fun when it happens. In my life time I have seen two die in name brand commercial squeeze chutes. I have seen one go down in an awesome high dollar hydraulic unit. We saved her and this unit was the best I have ever seen.

If you cannot adjust the gap, consider modifying it.

Most units have a side gate. Rather than completely backing her out, you can pull her head back and let her out of the side if you can rig it. If she is half way through, that option is out.

We saved one of my dad's best cows a couple of years back by opening up the side gate, pushing her head back and letting her roll out the side. Dad has fairly nice powder river - no hydraulics or anything real expensive, just a nice manual chute. You really get what you pay for with chutes.

If you're looking for some fun, last year we had a cow flip herself upside down in the squeeze chute and pen herself (upside down) half in the chute and half in the alley behind it, with legs sticking thru the side of the chute and in other directions unimaginable. Originally she went down in the chute so I released the headcatch so she could stand back up, instead she left her butt on the floor and climbed up the inside of the headgate and then the top of the chute til she flipped herself over. Wife and I stood there looking at each other, new one on us. Took us about 15 minutes, a come-along and dismantling half the chute, but we got her out. She brought 600 bucks a couple days later.

Latest posts