Headed to the barn

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Hauled my calves last night , 60 days weaned to the barn , 6 steers and 5 heifers. Kept 3 girls . I would have liked to kept them a little longer , but it's dry, and we really need to cut everything we have for a second cutting of hay. It looks like a slight upwards movement in the market , so we'll see. I know they will do as good as any , just hope buyer confidence is up. Can't wait for sale barn food !

Good luck. Prices here are down .10 to .25 on most everything but that is typical for July. Best to sell by june or wait til later in august here. We are getting a little dry in spots but there has been rain around. 40-50% chance here today, spotty, then sun and near 90 through saturday, then several days of typical t-storms. We have about 4 acres of alfalfa mix pasture hay on the ground so I hope we are in the missed part of hit or miss showers today. Will get it made before the weekend and then the rain will be welcome on the cut fields.

snoopdog":edy1avjl said:
Hauled my calves last night , 60 days weaned to the barn , 6 steers and 5 heifers. Kept 3 girls . I would have liked to kept them a little longer , but it's dry, and we really need to cut everything we have for a second cutting of hay. It looks like a slight upwards movement in the market , so we'll see. I know they will do as good as any , just hope buyer confidence is up. Can't wait for sale barn food !
Where you take them to ,El Reno ? Watched them sell some cows Mon. and they look to be doing better than they were a couple weeks ago at Bristow ??? never know its kind of luck of the draw. Hope they do well for you.

Forget that last post I thought you were from NW Okla. El Reno would probably be to far away.

I sold some at OKC on Monday. 600 lb steers brought $1.50. 550 lb heifers brought $1.38. 625 lb heifers brought $1.30.

Only weaned 3 weeks as my grass has burned up and I had to get some animals off the place. With the hot weather and being short weaned they also shrunk more than I am used to, about 4%. I am not a big fan of selling in the hottest part of the year but sometimes you just don't have a choice.

Pretty happy , steers avg 650lb @ 1.51, heifers 568lb @ 1.33. Mine brought .02 more than any there , so that was a real source of pride. Its raining now and my truck windows are down , I do not care , I ain't rolling them up!

bird dog":28a8r4gc said:
I sold some at OKC on Monday. 600 lb steers brought $1.50. 550 lb heifers brought $1.38. 625 lb heifers brought $1.30.

Only weaned 3 weeks as my grass has burned up and I had to get some animals off the place. With the hot weather and being short weaned they also shrunk more than I am used to, about 4%. I am not a big fan of selling in the hottest part of the year but sometimes you just don't have a choice.

Nothing wrong with that. I hauling about the same size calves tomorrow and hoping to get the same results.

Brute 23":2qtfsxqc said:
bird dog":2qtfsxqc said:

Nothing wrong with that. I hauling about the same size calves tomorrow and hoping to get the same results.
I think you will , the buzz was the futures , but they held steady all day . Good Luck .

snoopdog":26qdw9qv said:
Pretty happy , steers avg 650lb @ 1.51, heifers 568lb @ 1.33. Mine brought .02 more than any there , so that was a real source of pride. Its raining now and my truck windows are down , I do not care , I ain't rolling them up!

Sounds good especially the rain. I have a three week calf to pull and take tomorrow, I've had the cow and her twins shut up for about two weeks now. She has straightened up and is doing good, just can't take good care of two calves.

Allenw":294xq6n0 said:
snoopdog":294xq6n0 said:

Sounds good especially the rain. I have a three week calf to pull and take tomorrow, I've had the cow and her twins shut up for about two weeks now. She has straightened up and is doing good, just can't take good care of two calves.
We got 1.1 inches , more than we got in all of june!

snoopdog":3dn71xhe said:
Brute 23":3dn71xhe said:
bird dog":3dn71xhe said:

I think you will , the buzz was the futures , but they held steady all day . Good Luck .
Feeder calf futures dropped bad today. Ended the day about 2.50 down

kenny thomas":1i1wrh97 said:
snoopdog":1i1wrh97 said:
Brute 23":1i1wrh97 said:
Feeder calf futures dropped bad today. Ended the day about 2.50 down
What I meant to say kenny, was the prices stayed steady at the barn , so apparently there was demand. I only stayed about 4hrs, and they were still selling calves .

True Grit Farms":2snvsslw said:
kenny thomas":2snvsslw said:
Futures were back up today.
We need to figure out how to get the paper pushers out of the cattle market.
Why?? They are buying a product with a settlement price, a delivery date and a quantity and are bidding against others. Sounds like a market to me. A tool???? ;-)

TexasBred":2rgoj54r said:
True Grit Farms":2rgoj54r said:
kenny thomas":2rgoj54r said:
Futures were back up today.
Why?? They are buying a product with a settlement price, a delivery date and a quantity and are bidding against others. Sounds like a market to me. A tool???? ;-)
Paper pushing creates a false market , traders should be required to take possession or have the ability at least . Then you would have a true supply /demand outlet .

snoopdog":3e5kti6e said:
TexasBred":3e5kti6e said:
True Grit Farms":3e5kti6e said:
Paper pushing creates a false market , traders should be required to take possession or have the ability at least . Then you would have a true supply /demand outlet .
My feelings exactly.

Latest posts