Headed to our after Thanksgiving Sale,

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The boss and I pulled out this morning heading to the Siebring Angus Sale in Gilman Ill. It is a long haul from northwest Florida but sure get to see a powerful set of females. The sale is Sunday so tomorrow is a looking day. The boss and I enjoy this trip, at least we enjoyed it enough last year to want a repeat. Anyone else going?

Gizmom

Safe Travels, just got back from our pre Thanksgiving sale (week before).. 848 miles one way door to door. good luck if you are shopping..

My brother bought 186, farm bought 194b. Already home and fit it well with the other 10 heifers. The 186 heifer is really good imo. She is pictured in the catalog.

Our trip was 12 hr and 30 min, my wife has a bit of a lead foot..

She is pretty laid back :lol: Jscunn your right the down side of this purchase is the April calf, so by the time she has her calf it will be getting to hot to flush. I imagine we will plan a flush in October. She was flushed at Schaff and averaged 8 eggs per flush so hopefully we will have a few to put in January of 2019. One thing this business teaches you is patience, I understand they have a Renoun son in the Schaff sale in Feb that is pretty sporty, I look forward to seeing how he looks we may flush her that way.
We are still on the road but I think the boss and I are about ready to cry uncle and stop for the night. It has been a long day.

Gizmom

Great cow. Like her. I have seen several Final Answer progeny I like. Some are too moderate for me but all have adequate muscling and usually structurally sound.

Elkwc

I agree some are very moderate, this cow is one I would call moderate but as deep wide and soggy as you can make one. You also have to watch feet on Final Answer but this cow has ideal feet. We will breed her to bulls to add a little more frame. I think the breeding to Registry is going to be really good. Grit your right the boss has a new girl friend she loves getting her back scratched.

Gizmom

gizmom":1qp23omo said:
Elkwc

I agree some are very moderate, this cow is one I would call moderate but as deep wide and soggy as you can make one. You also have to watch feet on Final Answer but this cow has ideal feet. We will breed her to bulls to add a little more frame. I think the breeding to Registry is going to be really good. Grit your right the boss has a new girl friend she loves getting her back scratched.

Gizmom

Thanks for the info about the feet on the Final Answer progeny. The ones I've seen have all been good. But most have been from 3 very good breeders so very likely they have been careful with matings and also culled heavy. We are using a grandson now. He will be sold soon. Have came close to buying a son a couple of times. Feel they offer a lot of what is missing in many Angus. Like I said the main concern I've had is that some are very moderate. Will be very observant about their feet in the future but try to be anyway. You are buidling a strong group of donor cows. The kind that should push your program forward.

elkwc

We have a Final Answer son that we started using as a yearling on heifers.

AAA 17844591 Gizmo FA 1339 658 0035
Sex: B Tatt: 1339 Tag: 1339 Birth Dt: 09/25/2013 ET
Dam Tag: 658 Dam: AAA 14913872
Sire Tag: 0035 Sire: AAA 13592905

He is moderate but throws such mass,bone and depth I can't help but like him. His daughters are making really nice females and his sons look like bulls. Another plus is his temperament he is just easy to get along with. As a two year old we moved him up to cover the two and three year old cows, last year he covered the mature cow group and that is where he will be this season. Final Answer wasn't perfect but he was pretty dang good.

Gizmom

From the progeny I've seen I agree. He sure had the mass and depth that many Angus are lacking today. Also a lot of consistency in his progeny.

Latest posts