Head Scratcher

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
Cows, don't they just love to drive you crazy? I can't figure this out:
Cow in standing heat 7/29, AId her, no blood or mucus rest of that week. So if it didn't take shouldn't come back in till 8/29.
Brought in a bull to do clean up and breed a heifer 8/5, he wasn't off the trailer 15 minutes and he and the cow were in love the rest of the day, saw him breed her 4 or 5 times. Then 8/7 (yesterday) blood on her tail. So did she pass the egg or what the heck is going on. I will keep the bull here till the end of the month, will be interesting to see what this girl does/doesn't do on either the 19th or 26th!
Anyone ever have similar circumstance? :???:

I have decided that I will never check for that again as it is not accurate and will drive you crazy and make you paranoid that they are not bred, when in fact they were/are bred. :roll: I drove my husband batty this spring by being very paranoid after seeing blood on their tails a couple days after I saw them being bred. Guess what, they "did not/have not" come back into heat since.We will find out next month for sure when we do herd health. Same thing last year and all of my girls were bred ,no one was open.

Blood is not always indicative to egg/embryo absorption.
Good luck.

Call me crazy, but I worry when I don't see them bleed off after breeding. Least ways thats what everybody around here says.

Sizmic

hillsdown":a695uvbj said:
I have decided that I will never check for that again as it is not accurate and will drive you crazy and make you paranoid that they are not bred, when in fact they were/are bred. :roll: I drove my husband batty this spring by being very paranoid after seeing blood on their tails a couple days after I saw them being bred. Guess what, they "did not/have not" come back into heat since.We will find out next month for sure when we do herd health. Same thing last year and all of my girls were bred ,no one was open.

Good luck.

HD..nor does the "lack of blood" mean a cow is not or has not cycled...I've never seen blood on any of my cattle. And your right...."do the herd health". :clap:

Well thanks guys. I will try to calm down. Maybe she is just a hussy. I hope the AI took, used some Italian semen but if it didn't at least I hope the bull did/does the job. We will see what goes on about the 19th....
The bull got the heifer today. He sure is an aggressive guy, I am impressed with him.

hillsdown":yx2e0jcf said:
Good luck.

All the prsence of blood indicates is she was in heat 3 days or so before. But the absonce of blood doesn;t mean she wasn;t

CKC1586":3vkog3sh said:
Cow in standing heat 7/29, AId her, no blood or mucus rest of that week. So if it didn't take shouldn't come back in till 8/29.
Brought in a bull to do clean up and breed a heifer 8/5, he wasn't off the trailer 15 minutes and he and the cow were in love the rest of the day, saw him breed her 4 or 5 times. Then 8/7 (yesterday) blood on her tail. So did she pass the egg or what the heck is going on. I will keep the bull here till the end of the month, will be interesting to see what this girl does/doesn't do on either the 19th or 26th!
I am a little confused. Did the clean up bull breed the cow that was stanting on 7/29 or is that a different cow?
The cow that was standing on 7/29 should show signs of heat between 8/16 to 19 of she did not take to the AI. Not the 29th. 18 to 21 day cycle.
I never worried about the blood on tail.

novatech":1b28s2ce said:
CKC1586":1b28s2ce said:
I am a little confused. Did the clean up bull breed the cow that was stanting on 7/29 or is that a different cow?
The cow that was standing on 7/29 should show signs of heat between 8/16 to 19 of she did not take to the AI. Not the 29th. 18 to 21 day cycle.
I never worried about the blood on tail.
I am talking about the cow that was standing 7/29, she was AI'd that date. Bull came in 8/5, she allowed him to breed her, she should NOT have been in heat but she clearly stood for him...several times. She had blood on the 7th. So if the AI did not take 7/29 she should not come in again till the 19th, I calculated an additional cycle from the 5th of August which is the 26th, if she was indeed truly in heat that date (8/5) and if she didn't take. Thus all those dates I indicated... Clear as mud huh.
I am hoping she took on the 29th of July with the AI and all this other business is her tramping around.

Sounds more like the heat on the 29th may be the one screwed up. The bull usually knows a lot more about the situation than us. Add that to the fact that she stood for him and it a pretty good indicator. Or i\wonder if you could end up with twins? :lol2:

novatech":1yzd4kwh said:
Sounds more like the heat on the 29th may be the one screwed up. The bull usually knows a lot more about the situation than us. Add that to the fact that she stood for him and it a pretty good indicator. Or i\wonder if you could end up with twins? :lol2:

OMG!!! No! Her sister gave me twins this year, I do not want twins again!!!
This little bull sure has "business" on his mind so I guess we will find out which heat was the real heat. She was standing on July 29 (with the girls, no bull here yet) and was bred AI, her cervix "felt right" according to the tech. The July 29 heat was in line with her June heat, which made me feel pretty confident that she was in heat since she has been cycling..... Either AI or the bull, I just hope she settles.

How are you going to determine which bull bred her? Or does it not matter. If they are registered I would think you'd need DNA to know for sure.

gberry":3kr6zczt said:
How are you going to determine which bull bred her? Or does it not matter. If they are registered I would think you'd need DNA to know for sure.
All our calves are DNA tested for parentage and myostatin. When we send in hair we list both possible bulls and their lab numbers. If the AI took she should calve May 11, if the bull May 18... not very far apart so the DNA will sort it out. I just hope she has settled regardless of which service.
It has been really hot here and I have heard that it is harder to get a cow settled during high temperature times. Thoughts on that theory??

CKC1586":2jp4bsch said:
It has been really hot here and I have heard that it is harder to get a cow settled during high temperature times. Thoughts on that theory??

Temperature definitely does have a huge effect on conception, Dun posted about that last year with the terribly hot summer they had and the percentage of open cows there were.

Well, the other cow that had been AId July 26, stood for the bull last night. So that Italian semen appears to have "gone down the drain". I am glad I brought that bull here! He has been busy. :cowboy:

I lost a calf one year we had AI'ed the cow to a "bad bull" and then two weeks later I saw the bull breed this cow and thought the Ai did not take. Next spring I am out of town nothing to calve for a couple weeks wrong the Ai took and it was a huge calf and lost it almost lost the cow. Now we keep better records and pay more attention to all the details.

Jeff