Head Gates

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen":4x9o10i0 said:
quote]

I had to come back and read this again. I thought you said you had a squeeze chute and that's what you said. So if you have a squeeze chute why do you also need a head gate?

I've used a head gate for years and I don't like it and much prefer the squeeze chute. For one thing, the automatic head gates don't catch 100% and don't catch 20% if the animals have horns. Second, the head gate only captures the around the neck (obviously) allowing the rest of the animal to wave in the breeze in front of and behind the neck capture point and sometimes they hurt themselves. It's been my experience the animal has less chance of hurting itself and is more steady for vaccinating, casterating(sp), palping, branding or whatever, in a squeeze chute.

Maybe I'm not understanding your set-up. What do you have at the end of your squeeze chute?
Ours has a head gate. Sometimes we squeeze, sometimes we don't. (Our vet can't get in behind the calf to castrate with it squeezed.)

Earl Thigpen":3o25we8a said:
groveman14":3o25we8a said:
What is everyone's preference for head gate's so that I can work my cattle. I have a holding pen, squeeze chute, etc. but now need to buy something to hold the cattle for any shots, ear tags, OR? Thank you. BTW, I sure learn a lot from you folks and it's very nice how you share so unselfishly to us novices.

I had to come back and read this again. I thought you said you had a squeeze chute and that's what you said. So if you have a squeeze chute why do you also need a head gate?

We had a head gate and squeeze chute for years - the two work very well together. For almost complete immobilization of an animal, though, one would need a molded bar that swings across the head gate, catches the animals nose, and can be latched - invaluable when it comes to dehorning, tagging, and tatooing.

mom to 4":3djfz7zu said:
Earl Thigpen":3djfz7zu said:
quote]

I've used a head gate for years and I don't like it and much prefer the squeeze chute. For one thing, the automatic head gates don't catch 100% and don't catch 20% if the animals have horns. Second, the head gate only captures the around the neck (obviously) allowing the rest of the animal to wave in the breeze in front of and behind the neck capture point and sometimes they hurt themselves. It's been my experience the animal has less chance of hurting itself and is more steady for vaccinating, casterating(sp), palping, branding or whatever, in a squeeze chute.

Maybe I'm not understanding your set-up. What do you have at the end of your squeeze chute?
Ours has a head gate. Sometimes we squeeze, sometimes we don't. (Our vet can't get in behind the calf to castrate with it squeezed.)

OK, I guess I didn't understand you can have a squeeze chute WITHOUT and head gate. For years all I had was a head gate (no squeeze chute). That's what I was talking about and comparing the benefits of one over the other.

My squeeze chute is a Powder River extra long, heavy duty with right emergency exit, left side controls and manual head gate. It also has panels that drop down on each side that allows easy access to the "undercarrage" of what ever you are working on.

Again, my apology. Like I say, I've only owned a squeeze chute for a couple of years and all the lookin' I did I never saw one without a head catch of some sort but I prefer the manual because of the problems catchin' them with my old auto catch head gate alone.

Good luck with yours.

I guess I didn't realize anyone used a squeeze chute without a headgate either. How do you catch them in it? We have a Big Valley squeeze with the self catch headgate. It's worked pretty well for us. The squeeze chute has the "silencer" add-ons -- rubber mat in the bottom, rubber padding to supposedly quiet all the latches, etc. The rubber mat in the bottom is a definite plus, but I wouldn't have paid the extra for the silencer package. Honestly, I can't tell that much difference in the noise level. The one we got had been on the feed store lot for over a year and he was ready to move it out. Cost us less than ordering one without the package :D

There was a Filson swing type self catch for sale as "used" but it actually hadn't been hung. It had set in the barn for years, to be hung. I bought it and put it on the end of my chute. Couldn't pass it up for that price. It works okay with lots of oiling. When I am working alone I use a rod to help push it to the latched position. If there are two people you can have someone use the handles to assist. Anyway, I am okay with the Filson brand. There are some others I'd prefer, but for the price I paid, I am tickled.