head gate

Help Support CattleToday:

lakeviewwalker

Reaction score
It has prob been discussed here before but I am new to this site. I am looking at building a head gate and wondering if any one has tips tricks or plans for one. I like to work with metal not sure if I will save much on building one but i enjoy it and also like satisfaction of finished product thanks for your time

suzorse":39du547i said:
here is a homade one , I do not know what all the add ons would be
http://boise.craigslist.org/grd/3450784949.html
Suzanne
I think that apparatus in the lower front is either an automatic cow crippler or a self castration device. Ya just open the headgate (somehow) and hit the bullcalf in the butt with a double dose of a yellow hot shot and that thing grabs the testicles as he bolts thru, yankin 'em right off. :mrgreen: :lol2:

chutep.jpg

(What the heck is that???)

The "cow crippler" or "castration device" is actully a device for holding the head of a critter when doing things like dehorning. A rope goes from the shaft on the "winch", around behind the head and back down to the shaft. Then crank it down ti immobilize the head and do what you need to do. Usually they are removable for when you are doing non-head chute work.

I've never done or seen it done that way. Just tied the head off to the opposite side of the gate you're working on with halter, rope, or nose tong.