head gate help!!

Help Support CattleToday:

whalersport

Reaction score
just retired a old headcatch from the 70's and cant decide on whats next? Want suggestions, working 80-90 head of angus cattle and 4 bulls. Cow-calf operation. Every company i research says we're the best> of course. WW-Priefert-Tarter?? What do you use and suggest? Thanks.

Preifert, don;t have to screw with adjustments from any size from tiny calves to bulls. I also hate those swinging style of head catches.

Not wanting to argue but wha do you not like about the swinging type?Trying to learn as I have used a Tox O Wic mostly for the last 30 plus years.Also have used a Big Valley as a portable squeeze/headgate.Cousins have Tarter and seem to like them
My Tox-O-Wic is getting worn And I'm trying to decide on replacing it or overhauling

What I don;t like about the swingers, a) it takes a lot more strength to operate, b) I've had too many cows that figure it out and will bump it enough to just start to close and jerk back and swing it wide open and be off and running (WW), c) if the cow is pulling or pushing it's darn near impossible to open it to let them out. I do most of the chute work by myself and it's awkward to try to get the cow to move and still reach the controls.

dun":39z9gjlc said:
What I don;t like about the swingers, a) it takes a lot more strength to operate, b) I've had too many cows that figure it out and will bump it enough to just start to close and jerk back and swing it wide open and be off and running (WW), c) if the cow is pulling or pushing it's darn near impossible to open it to let them out. I do most of the chute work by myself and it's awkward to try to get the cow to move and still reach the controls.

I totally agree. I have a swinging head gate and hate it. The cows will do just as dun said bump it then pull back. The problem I have is when they pull it back it want open as wide and when they run out it will catch them about there hips! Then u have a mess on your hands trying to get them out

Just the head gate or including the chute? The Preifert S04 w/auto head gate is easier for me even though we rarely use the chute. We also have a Titan chute w/portable corral that is more heavy-duty w/a palp cage but the head gate on the Titan is made by Preifert.

Latest posts