Head butting bull

Help Support CattleToday:

kama

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Right now we have one black angus bull and three heiffers. We have a chance to buy two small bulls, one four months and one is five months. Ours is 15 months. He likes to head butt. Is getting more bulls a bad idea even though they are so young?

Thanks for the info. Believe it r not, I learned a lot from your posts.

If you only have 3 heifers, why would you want more bulls? What benefit is there to adding these to your herd?

farmwriter":3n1v8ybj said:
If you only have 3 heifers, why would you want more bulls? What benefit is there to adding these to your herd?

AND nreak that bull of the head butting NOW or get rid of him

If you're planning to breed a bull to the heifers (or cows), one yearling bull can handle 10 to 15 females easily. A 3+ year old bull can easily handle 25 to 35 females.

TWO or more breeding age bulls (12+ months of age) in the same pasture (or across a fence) with females is a large wreck waiting to happen. Two bulls should always be seriously separated and definitely not be able to touch noses...they can easily take down a fence (unless is a 6' high pipe fence...lol).

Cattle will butt heads with EACH OTHER as act of play, establishing dominance. Any animal that butts PEOPLE should receive a sharp rap on the nose with a fiberglas sorting stick (or) if that doesn't cure the problem, then the animal should grow wheels. You don't need a 4 footed animal that is larger (or more powerful) than you to play dominance games with you. People have died from this.

If you had rather have bulls rather than females, then "steer" (castrate) the extra males when they are young...

kama":3fbthns9 said:
Hi everyone. Right now we have one black angus bull and three heiffers. We have a chance to buy two small bulls, one four months and one is five months. Ours is 15 months. He likes to head butt. Is getting more bulls a bad idea even though they are so young?

I really don't understand your question but as what was stated others,why are you even interested in the calves ? You can castrate them and raise them for freezer beef and they really are still too young to be weened at this age .

Your bull, if he is head butting other bovines no big deal; if he is coming at people he should be gone.

OH and welcome to CT kama :wave: .

kama":2stfxeju said:
Is getting more bulls a bad idea even though they are so young?

Personally, I would not increase the number of bulls until I had to - bulls are a pain in the ass, no matter how you slice it. Given the number of heifers you have, I would also be looking into AI (I'm not a big believer in renting/leasing/borrowing bulls - too much potential for nasty surprises down the road) rather keeping a bull at all. AI would give you the opportunity to hand-pick bulls that would improve on your heifers strengths, and help correct their weaknesses. Just a little something to think about.

Welcome to the forums. Don't look at it as a chance to by bull calves. Everyone can buy bull calves at any time. They are readily available at every calf auction.
when people buy bulls calves they have the intent to turn them into steers. If that's your intent, go for it. If not put the money into heifers or steer calves.
That butting bull you have probably tamed down by playing with him since he was a calf. You now have got to stop playing. He will no doubt want to establish a pecking order with you. [BAD THING]
Good hard whacks in the noise everytime he approaches you until he backs away should work. If he is still aggressive be careful and get rid of him.

Running Arrow Bill":3s7kp2g0 said:
If you're planning to breed a bull to the heifers (or cows), one yearling bull can handle 10 to 15 females easily. A 3+ year old bull can easily handle 25 to 35 females.

TWO or more breeding age bulls (12+ months of age) in the same pasture (or across a fence) with females is a large wreck waiting to happen. Two bulls should always be seriously separated and definitely not be able to touch noses...they can easily take down a fence (unless is a 6' high pipe fence...lol).

Cattle will butt heads with EACH OTHER as act of play, establishing dominance. Any animal that butts PEOPLE should receive a sharp rap on the nose with a fiberglas sorting stick (or) if that doesn't cure the problem, then the animal should grow wheels. You don't need a 4 footed animal that is larger (or more powerful) than you to play dominance games with you. People have died from this.

If you had rather have bulls rather than females, then "steer" (castrate) the extra males when they are young...
Amen !! :tiphat:

Latest posts