Head Butt in the Hinder

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Was bent over working on a feed wagon pto yesterday when I got head butted in the ass. Thought it was a pet cow. Turned around and the big bull was right there... :shock: Picked up a small rock and pegged him in the top of the head. He moved back a couple feet and then pushed on the wagon to show how tough he is. Have a rocky farm, but still may be time to get a replacement.

Sounds like he may be getting too friendly for your own good

Your mistake was using the small rock...didn't make a big enough impression on him. get the biggest one you can throw next time.
I have a few cows that will ease up on me if I'm working on something and not paying attention to my surroundings, and have had to pick up a shovel or heavy stick & give em a good stout reminder of which is my space and which is theirs... if they don't actually hurt you with their head, they'll make you hurt yourself just from suddenly finding them that close..

greybeard":37clfy32 said:
Your mistake was using the small rock...didn't make a big enough impression on him. get the biggest one you can throw next time.

I was under some pressure so I just grabbed the closest rock. :cowboy:

Each one is different,,sometimes if you don't make a believer out of them, they will you...I've bent stuff over their heads and they just stand there,snort and shake their heads.. While others,, a light tap will send them running..

I was tagging calves a couple weeks ago. Was inside the lot fence a few feet with a calf between my legs just about to put the tag in when a cow managed to get her head through the pipe fence and laid me out..... :lol: I think we were both surprised but she stood on the other side of the fence looking pleased with her work.

ALACOWMAN":xe46mqxj said:
Each one is different,,sometimes if you don't make a believer out of them, they will you...I've bent stuff over their heads and they just stand there,snort and shake their heads.. While others,, a light tap will send them running..
Our old bull was pushing on a gate one day and my wife snapped him on the nose with her finger. From that day on he couldn;t stay far enough away from her. Hilarious to see a 1800 lb bull terrified of a 110 pound 5 foot tall woman.
Back to he situation at hand, I would ship him in a heart beat

Ship him because he didnt keep his head up and left his ass exposed to push on? Hardly the bulls fault, he was just investigating.

Rule #1 - dont turn your back on a bull... He broke the rules, not the bull.

Supa Dexta":wdtl50jf said:
Ship him because he didnt keep his head up and left his be nice exposed to push on? Hardly the bulls fault, he was just investigating.

Rule #1 - dont turn your back on a bull... He broke the rules, not the bull.
I agree, but if there is going to be contact, my boys better understand that I am the one who will initiate said contact. I expect mine to not come right up to me in the pasture. They don't take off, (I can walk up to them and halter most) but I expect them to be respectful of my space and keep there nose off the ground.

Latest posts