Head and one leg out calf stuck but dead

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Don't know how long the cow is been like this but she still Contracting. Going to put a chain on the head and one leg I have and see if I can pull it out with a winch.

Suggestions appreciated

Before cranking it out, I'd try to find the other front leg, make sure it isn't curled back, get it straight. Then I'd proceed slowly, pulling downward. Calf may be hip-locked. Good luck.

Workinonit Farm":1lerp2o9 said:
Before cranking it out, I'd try to find the other front leg, make sure it isn't curled back, get it straight. Then I'd proceed slowly, pulling downward. Calf may be hip-locked. Good luck.

You need both legs to pull the calf, or you'll damaged the calf and probably the cow. What makes you so sure the calf is dead? If the cord isn't pinched or broke there's a possibility the calf is still alive

True Grit Farms":2vwghy3s said:
Workinonit Farm":2vwghy3s said:

You need both legs to pull the calf, or you'll damaged the calf and probably the cow. What makes you so sure the calf is dead? If the cord isn't pinched or broke there's a possibility the calf is still alive

I know many calves have been pulled by tractors,winches,block and tackle etc and have done the same.Well,block and tackle only here.But, the older I get,the more I think if you are going to pull calves,you need a calf jack.They are not that expensive and are easier on the cow and calf.If they are real tight,I'm calling the vet before I kill one or both.

Put it in a squeeze or similar - push the head and leg back inside - find the other leg and straighten it so they come together. Yes it can be done - I know because I have done it - more than once in my lifetime.

Or if you can get by the head and shoulder then try that first.

Bottom line - pulling the calf with a leg back is going to do some serious damage to the cow. In cases where the calf is still alive and it is a big one - or the cow is a small one - or a combination of both - you can sometimes literally pull the calf apart if you do not do this. The shoulder blade is designed to come in one way only.

Do it right or call the vet and have him/her do it.

Jacking it out when it is out of "sequence" simply ruins cows, calves and believe it or not - cattlemen's reputations as good stewards of livestock (yeah I know a whole bunch of folks do not give a damm about that).

Do it right, or have someone else do it for you.

It will make your life a whole lot easier. Good luck.

Cheers.

Had one like this yesterday. Calf's head completely out. Pushed it back in, straightened it, and it popped right out.
They can be pulled with a leg back, if there is room. I would use a head snare on the head and a chain on the foot. Much more chance of a screw up this way but I've done it successfully.
But I did get to a cow on time this year to watch her deliver a calf with a leg back. Of course, because I showed up she felt the need to stand, then fall down and broke the calf's neck. Then she gave a push and spat the calf out just as I got to her. I was just in time to see the light fade from its eyes :(

There always seems to be some resistance to push a calf back in thinking that you will lose what you have gained however repelling it well back will make getting that leg up a breeze and then the pull will be so much easier. I will not say it is impossible to pull with the leg back (as long as the leg is stretched right out) but if room is at a premium it will not happen without doing damage.

Ken

As Silver has said, I think they will often calve with a leg back as long as there is room and the offending leg is straight out behind and not curled up.

Had the same deal last night but out of a yearling that got bred. I got the stuck foot out but calf got hip locked. Tried several things but ended up pulling with the pick up. Cow was a little loose legged today but fine otherwise.

Wonder how this one turned out. I would slways try to get feet and head out first put sometimes you just do what you can do with what's available.

The calf was large and had been dead long enough to swell up and prevent pushing it back in. The cow is 4 years old. A calf puller saved the cow. Let her rest for a few hours then got her up and moved her on.

Latest posts