Hazzard light problem

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
My massey ferguson 281xe decided to turn on its hazzard lights on its own today. It was parked in the pasture by itself. I turned the the light switch evrey which away and they still wouldnt quit blinking. I finally disconected the battery cables and they quit blinking. Any ideas on what to could be wrong?

Did a snake, rat, or lizard short out the switch? I believe there is separate fuse for the hazard lights and a separate flasher. I would suspect the flasher. If all else fails, pull the fuse out of the panel.

Dash on that Massey is not sealed get lots of dirt and water in there. I have had problems with the conections not making good contact on the flashers. They always work for the county road seem's like you have to mess with them for an hour or more when you have to get on the hiway to go to that hay field.

Seeing as the 281XE has a seperate switch for the hazard it sounds like the switch is gone out. Even if the switch still may pull out and seem like it is working it could be bad. You can buy pull switchs from just about any parts house.

I would not suspect your flasher like flaboy said because the switch is what completes or locks out the circut.

Florida cattle":16zwg26x said:
I would not suspect your flasher like flaboy said because the switch is what completes or locks out the circut.

Well, I hope he fixes it and gets back to us at any rate.

Fla Cattle, the flasher is actually just a relay with a built in timer. The are several types used today and I am not sure which MF uses. Normally open, normally closed, hybrid, bi-metal, and transistor types are the ones I have run across. Don't want to get into specifics but there are several ways these can fail and cause the flashers to stay on.

There are several things that can cause this including your switch suggestion.

flaboy of course my theory goes if it is stock setup this tractor may have customer modifactions ;-)
Because I noticed he said he turned the switch, the 281XE has a seperate pull switch on the right side of the dash near the key, the main light swith is a turn knob on the left of the dash, and the flashers work independent from the main light swith. The pull knob is powered from the fuse panel and then sends the power supply to the flasher relay then to the lights. So maybe he will get back to us on this one.

Florida cattle":20n65agv said:
flaboy of course my theory goes if it is stock setup this tractor may have customer modifactions ;-)
Because I noticed he said he turned the switch, the 281XE has a seperate pull switch on the right side of the dash near the key, the main light swith is a turn knob on the left of the dash, and the flashers work independent from the main light swith. The pull knob is powered from the fuse panel and then sends the power supply to the flasher relay then to the lights. So maybe he will get back to us on this one.

Yeah, I have a 271xe with the same setup. I sure hope he gets back to us. I hate it when folks don't follow up and the fix. The fix is good know.

I have a 281Xe the only thing I want to change on it is to put some larger tires on the front, those 7.50s just bog up to easy in soft ground with the loader on the front.

I have a ford 3610 and the flashers kept randomly blowing the fuse.

Would go a couple of months or a couple of weeks and always blew out at dark while on the highway.

finally took a rainy Sunday to try to find out and tracked and checked and did resistance on wires and swithces and all was okay. finally found one light that was a little iffy. The bulb in the light had the glass loose from the base but was still halfway connected and working. Put a new bulb in and it only cost me a half day and a bulb.

I have a friend that is a little more mechanically inclined coming by today to help check it out. Dont worry I will let yall know.

Florida cattle":1h3znb4g said:
I have a 281Xe the only thing I want to change on it is to put some larger tires on the front, those 7.50s just bog up to easy in soft ground with the loader on the front.

If I dont keep the air pressure way above the rated 40psi mine will squish the tires flat . I ordered some wider rims from a massey dealer so that I could get wider tires unfortuantly the bolts didnt line up exactly with the rims. Dealer said I cold drill the rims out a little and I would be ok but I didnt like that idea so i returned the rims and just have been living with the narrow tires.

Calves chewed a wire in to. When I put the wire back together the rpm guage started back working and the hazzard lights quit blinking. If a calf can find a wire anywhere they will chew on it.
They just about chewed the pig tail off the back of my truck the other day. It doesnt take them long to do alot of damage.

Florida cattle":1a4g436u said:

I put 9.50's on the front of my 271 and 285. They still need to be pumped up though with a load on the FEL.

I had a loader on a Ford 4000, and ended up using light truck tires on it. They take higher inflations and wear longer.
But, the tractor wasn't made for a loader, so when I got a better loader tractor I sold the loader off the Ford.

Latest posts