Hazy skies....

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
The smoke from the western fires have made it here. From my front porch the mountain is hazy.

pgXWfrg.jpg

Last edited:
You are welcome. Brought to you courtesy of the Bootleg fire in southern Oregon. 400,000 acres of big Ponderosa Pine forest up in smoke with no relieve in sight. The projected control date is October 1. It has been growing by about 40,000 acres a day.
Out here in the west we have a saying. Log it, graze it, or watch it burn. The U.S. Forest Circus makes more money allowing things to burn (fighting fire) than they do from logging or grazing. As a result they have shut down logging and limit grazing more and more every year.

Dave, didn't have a posting last year at this time with a link to a rancher out there that tried to get the government to understand what the problem is? It went into details of where he found critters when the fire had burned right were they were, but because of a previous fire there was no fuel material and the cattle lived in that draw. If so, would you repost that? Thanks.

Dave, didn't have a posting last year at this time with a link to a rancher out there that tried to get the government to understand what the problem is? It went into details of where he found critters when the fire had burned right were they were, but because of a previous fire there was no fuel material and the cattle lived in that draw. If so, would you repost that? Thanks.
I don't remember that post. It wasn't me who posted it. I do know we had a little fire along the freeway here last summer. It burned up to a fence where cattle had grazed earlier in the year. It stopped there before we got there to stop it. I patrolled the fence line but it made no attempt to move on. Without the grazed off field it was 1/2 a mile to a trailer park. And I don't know if we would have been able to stop it. There is also about an acre of old broken half rotten rail road ties stacked about 5 or 6 feet high. Fire get into that and we would have to stand back and watch it burn.
Thinking about that post it was a link to a guy in California who wrote it. I read it but didn't post it. He was a multi generation cattleman and he taught at UC Davis (?). A very well written article.

Not too hazy here today. We have had days in the last week where visibility was about 3 miles. We were worried that if a fire started here we wouldn't know because nobody would see it.

You are welcome. Brought to you courtesy of the Bootleg fire in southern Oregon. 400,000 acres of big Ponderosa Pine forest up in smoke with no relieve in sight. The projected control date is October 1. It has been growing by about 40,000 acres a day.
Out here in the west we have a saying. Log it, graze it, or watch it burn. The U.S. Forest Circus makes more money allowing things to burn (fighting fire) than they do from logging or grazing. As a result they have shut down logging and limit grazing more and more every year.
Exactly how does that work? How do they make more money than logging or grazing by allowing things to burn?

One of my crew is working for Greyback Forestry, a private company, on the bootleg fire. Another is in Washington state. A friend from KY is on an air base on Billings Montana.

That's a pretty front porch view jltrent. Are you lucky enough to not have any neighbors living close by ?
Very few close neighbors. When I was small had more neighbors, but just about all have died off. Thinking back most are dead as my mother is 85 and another neighbor is 90.

Your lucky to have a place with no neighbors. How far is the nearest town ?
We have a couple poke and plum towns about 9 miles away. Poke your head out, and you're plum out of town! The nearest town of any size is 25-30 miles.

Last edited:
We have a couple poke and plum towns about 9 miles away. Poke your head out, and you're plum out of town! The nearest town of any size is 25-30 miles.
Your very lucky to live in an area like that. I know you already know that.

Exactly how does that work? How do they make more money than logging or grazing by allowing things to burn?
Over time. More money into the budget. Not outside money but government employees don't care where the money comes from.

Latest posts