hazy blue eyes

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Just bought a 700-lb angus heifer from auction. When I got her home, noticed hazy-blue eyes. No redness, watery discharge or other signs of pinkeye. She's is good condition otherwise. What else could it be? If it is pinkeye, what can be done at this late stage? Thanks.

[email protected]

It could be the after effects of pinkeye. I had several that had pretty bad cases this last summer. I treated them, they got over it, but some of them still have hazy eyes.

> Just bought a 700-lb angus heifer
> from auction. When I got her home,
> noticed hazy-blue eyes. No
> redness, watery discharge or other
> signs of pinkeye. She's is good
> condition otherwise. What else
> could it be? If it is pinkeye,
> what can be done at this late
> stage? Thanks.

that is the after affect of pinkeye, if her sight is o.k then there will probably be no effect . that is a bad problem with auction barns and especially during fly season you can spread pinkeye to the other cattle in your herd and it can get bad. a good idea is isolation for awhile, 2weeks or so, until you see that there are no health problems. cough,fever,runny eyes, runny nose,etc. a healthy animal at the barn can pick up stuff at the barn and spread it quickly.

[email protected]

Another problem with sale barn cattle...usually penned in marginal sanitation conditions, new bunch every week, no health documentation usually, (except in Texas they are tested at barn for Brucellosis)... most of the sale barns I've visited out of curiosity (never bought anything at one) did not clean or wash down the pens and equipement after a batch was sold that day... contaminated manure, equipment, etc. (It's like human picking up some illness at a school or institution or hospital waiting room or dog kennel).

Incidentally, Longhorn cattle are virtually immune to pinkeye and some other common diseases--but still need their 2x year routine vaccinations and regularly de-worming just like other cattle...

> Just bought a 700-lb angus heifer
> from auction. When I got her home,
> noticed hazy-blue eyes. No
> redness, watery discharge or other
> signs of pinkeye. She's is good
> condition otherwise. What else
> could it be? If it is pinkeye,
> what can be done at this late
> stage? Thanks. ~~~~~~i always thought angus didnt get peye .guess i was wrong

All breeds can and will get pink eye. It is frequntly a matter of conditions that cause it that can be controlled. A grass seed in the eye can set the stage for problems, usually not.

dun

"Longhorn cattle are virtually immune to pinkeye and some other common diseases"

On what do you base this statement?

> Another problem with sale barn
> cattle...usually penned in
> marginal sanitation conditions,
> new bunch every week, no health
> documentation usually, (except in
> Texas they are tested at barn for
> Brucellosis)... most of the sale
> barns I've visited out of
> curiosity (never bought anything
> at one) did not clean or wash down
> the pens and equipement after a
> batch was sold that day...
> contaminated manure, equipment,
> etc. (It's like human picking up
> some illness at a school or
> institution or hospital waiting
> room or dog kennel).

> Incidentally, Longhorn cattle are
> virtually immune to pinkeye and
> some other common diseases--but
> still need their 2x year routine
> vaccinations and regularly
> de-worming just like other
> cattle...

> All breeds can and will get pink
> eye. It is frequntly a matter of
> conditions that cause it that can
> be controlled. A grass seed in the
> eye can set the stage for
> problems, usually not.

> dun

~~~~been raising beefmaster round 12 yr. never had not 1 case of peye. guess i been lucky~~~~~~tc

> ~~~~been raising beefmaster round
> 12 yr. never had not 1 case of
> peye. guess i been lucky~~~~~~tc

i haven't either till you add to your herd from outside. if your cattle have good pigment aroud their eyes and don't have contact with alot of other cattle. that is like cancer eye i have a friend who has had several in his herd get it older cows i have never had one, is it hereditary like in humans? he doesn't buy alot of cattle most of his are generations. it is those with no pigment around the eye.

[email protected]

Managment (good) will prevent 99.9% cases and causes of pink eye. The only case of pinkeye we have had in years, and that was many years ago, was a black Angus. Not Herefords, not baldies, not Red Angus, a black Angus. She came to us with it.

dun

> i haven't either till you add to
> your herd from outside. if your
> cattle have good pigment aroud
> their eyes and don't have contact
> with alot of other cattle. that is
> like cancer eye i have a friend
> who has had several in his herd
> get it older cows i have never had
> one, is it hereditary like in
> humans? he doesn't buy alot of
> cattle most of his are