Hazards of cutting hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Hmm, no spots. Nothing ruins a beautiful afternoon like running a fawn through the hay conditioner.
You feel bad for hitting the little rascals. Then you cuss them the whole time your unplugging the mower and replacing sickle sections.

Neighbor and friends calf we were cutting hay for.

I run the lil turd off earlier in the day. Swather broke down. Of course. Lol
I was trying so hard to keep an eye out too.
He died fairly quick tho.

Today is a new day.

SBMF 2015 said:
Hmm, no spots. Nothing ruins a beautiful afternoon like running a fawn through the hay conditioner.
You feel bad for hitting the little rascals. Then you cuss them the whole time your unplugging the mower and replacing sickle sections.

I'd have been much less upset if had been a fawn.
Those lil guys usually jump and run!
I sure agree tho. Ruined a very nice day

MurraysMutts said:
SBMF 2015 said:

I'd have been much less upset if had been a fawn.
Those lil guys usually jump and run!
I sure agree tho. Ruined a very nice day

Sorry to hear that. That's something I've never had to encounter, don't think I want to either.

Dave said:
I wish someone would go to cutting hay here. We could use the rain.

I'd be cutting mine right about now if it would quit raining

Sorry to hear about that calf MurraysMutts

Dave said:
I wish someone would go to cutting hay here. We could use the rain.

We got a good splash last night, doesn't amount to much, probably 1/4" or so, but it sure took the clouds of pine pollen out of the air

Dang, that sucks hitting a calf with the swather :(

I wonder if you have or have access to a thermal scope you could scan a field before rolling out to try and not do that?

Brute 23 said:
Is that common for cattle to be in hay fields while cutting?

Usually not sir.
Theres a hot wire on that guys place but u know calves....
He was very nice about it. Nicer than I can imagine honestly. I did run a calf outt there about 6 hours n4 that happens. Just couldnt shut it down fast enough.