Hazardous or what supplements needed?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Got the mineral analysis back from Texas A&M on the distillers grain I'm getting this is what it said:
Phosphorus: .25%
Potassium: .15%
Calcium: .04%
Magnesium: .07%
Sodium: 90ppm
Zinc: 23ppm
Copper: 3ppm
Manganese: 11ppm
Sulfer: 1391ppm
Boron: .90 ppm

Not sure what all of it meant. It is 54% dry matter. The sulfer looks high but per ppm not sure if it really is. I have been feeding about 15 pounds every other day to some heifers getting bred right now with a pinch of Purina all season mineral in each bucket. The darn bull in that pasture tears every single thing up. Including mineral feeders and rolls mineral tubs into the electric fence so I feed mineral manually while these girls are seperated in a small pasture. Should I add anything to the mix? I have not seen any ill effects. I am giving them a few gallons of light distillers liquid in days they dont get grain. This is distillers syrup that has not been cooked down into syrup.

BK9954":3q2x934b said:
Got the mineral analysis back from Texas A&M on the distillers grain I'm getting this is what it said:
Phosphorus: .25%
Potassium: .15%
Calcium: .04%
Magnesium: .07%
Sodium: 90ppm
Zinc: 23ppm
Copper: 3ppm
Manganese: 11ppm
Sulfer: 1391ppm
Boron: .90 ppm

Not sure what all of it meant. It is 54% dry matter. The sulfer looks high but per ppm not sure if it really is. I have been feeding about 15 pounds every other day to some heifers getting bred right now with a pinch of Purina all season mineral in each bucket. The darn bull in that pasture tears every single thing up. Including mineral feeders and rolls mineral tubs into the electric fence so I feed mineral manually while these girls are seperated in a small pasture. Should I add anything to the mix? I have not seen any ill effects. I am giving them a few gallons of light distillers liquid in days they dont get grain. This is distillers syrup that has not been cooked down into syrup.
If these numbers are on a 100% dry matter basis you're ok. NRC standard for sulfur requirements in cattle is .15% which is 1500 ppm....would have to get up about .4% (4000 ppm) to be hazardous. Just limit the intake and make sure they get plenty of roughage.

If numbers are on an "as fed" basis (54% dry matter) you can just about double each value and you're going to be borderline.

How much do you estimate you're feeding per head per day.

This is an as is analysis. About 15lb per head every 2 days so 7.5 pounds a day average. They each get a 5 gallon bucket. They are on 9.5% protien round bales free choice.

BK9954":1alb67st said:
This is an as is analysis. About 15lb per head every 2 days so 7.5 pounds a day average. They each get a 5 gallon bucket. They are on 9.5% protien round bales free choice.
you should still be ok. When you figure the hay into the ration the sulfur content in the total diet is diluted down to more normal levels.

TexasBred":34op5dlj said:
BK9954":34op5dlj said:
you should still be ok. When you figure the hay into the ration the sulfur content in the total diet is diluted down to more normal levels.
Great, thanks. Half of it I am feeding some hogs out with as well. Feeding them this stuff with left over fruits and veggies from work.