Hazard pay.

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence said:
ga.prime said:
People working in essential services that require close proximity to the public like grocery stores making minimum or near minimum wage should get hazard pay. People in non-essential work away from the public like putting up fence in a mesquite patch should not get hazard pay.
Fair enough
I don't think I know any fencer's that would ask for hazard pay. I guess your trying to insult me personally now. ...I'll gladly take it for the opportunity to hear your infinite wisdom. Thanks for posting. Prime .
Not trying to insult you or anybody else. I just gave an example of what I thought would merit hazard pay and an example of what I thought would not merit hazard pay.

ga.prime said:
callmefence said:
ga.prime said:
People working in essential services that require close proximity to the public like grocery stores making minimum or near minimum wage should get hazard pay. People in non-essential work away from the public like putting up fence in a mesquite patch should not get hazard pay.
Fair enough
I don't think I know any fencer's that would ask for hazard pay. I guess your trying to insult me personally now. ...I'll gladly take it for the opportunity to hear your infinite wisdom. Thanks for posting. Prime .
Not trying to insult you or anybody else. I just gave an example of what I thought would merit hazard pay and an example of what I thought would not merit hazard pay.
Okedoky

bball said:
Yep. Nevertheless, all those duties receive extra pay because they are hazardous( I am not up to date on current rates, but agree, rightfully so). That's what I was driving at anyway. In USAF, I was an ATC, but was assigned as an augmentee to the EOD team and got to train with and assist them. The reality of things that go boom is truly hard to fathom until you see it firsthand. Then, I also had the good good fortune to be trained/certified for bio hazmat decontamination. Ahh, the good ol days. Funny, more than 27 years later, that training is quite beneficial in my current career.
Yep, I know there are different allowances for things other than hazardous duty (it was called combat pay or hostile fire pay when I was active duty)
I was drawing base pay (about $315/mo) +$60 hostile fire & I was drawing flight skins, which was an additional $65/mo back then. The additional $125/mo could have come in handy except I had no where to spend it at the time....I got a whopping extra $16/mo for the 2 years I spent down in Guantanamo.

I'm a firefighter/emt. Were dealing with it, sometimes we get a heads up, mostly not,so I'm assuming everyone is Covid positive.
I do not want hazard pay, I believe some cites, states, maybe the fed will collapse over this. So may not have a job when this is over, who knows, so for me its business as usual.
Seems to be the american way anymore, kick whoever when there down, whether its I need more money or I'll pay you half if you wanna work, is bs. Run like you were a month ago. I know lots of things have changed but business's and the folks that want to and can work havent changed. If everyone will just maintain, let's see what happens in 60days.

kenny thomas said:
pricefarm said:
The company i work for has done a few things extra during this time. They have gave us a additional 3 weeks of personal time to use for anything related to Cov19. If we don't need to use it then at the end of the year they will pay us out on it. Also they are giving us 25$ gift card per week for the next few weeks at local restaurants. And they have us a 3$ a hour raise that will be permanent.
Can I retire and come work with you? Unless you are in the medical field. Then good luck

Sure as long as your not scared of heights.

pricefarm said:
kenny thomas said:
pricefarm said:
The company i work for has done a few things extra during this time. They have gave us a additional 3 weeks of personal time to use for anything related to Cov19. If we don't need to use it then at the end of the year they will pay us out on it. Also they are giving us 25$ gift card per week for the next few weeks at local restaurants. And they have us a 3$ a hour raise that will be permanent.
Can I retire and come work with you? Unless you are in the medical field. Then good luck

Sure as long as your not scared of heights.

Count me out. I can't hardly get up in my truck anymore

MurraysMutts said:
Gotta be careful asking for hazard pay round here.
They are already talking layoffs. Mention hazard pay and that's a sure way to get to the top of the list... lol

Country is headed for 33% unemployment predictions by the talking heads.
Having a job is going to be a blessing IMO! This is going to take years to get over. When this starts turning around a bunch of people are going to be left standing in the cold IMO.

Have a brother in law that's supposed to retire in May from Valspar, head of maintenance, 65 years old with 46 years in, not look good for him now with the stock market, long story short they hired someone to take his place at a higher wage, was there for one week and didn't show up today he quit, are society has produced some good ones, even smart enough to say who should get hazardous pay and who shouldn't, like you said fence just sit around and wait for the feed truck.

Caustic Burno said:
MurraysMutts said:
Gotta be careful asking for hazard pay round here.
They are already talking layoffs. Mention hazard pay and that's a sure way to get to the top of the list... lol

Country is headed for 33% unemployment predictions by the talking heads.
Having a job is going to be a blessing IMO! This is going to take years to get over. When this starts turning around a bunch of people are going to be left standing in the cold IMO.

Agreed.
In our line of work, people are already balking at working on stuff that customers bring in. But if u offered more money, they would hop all over it, for a while anyway.
The problem is this.
If we tried to charge more, theres plenty of other places that wont. So you'd just be sending your hard earned customers away to do business elsewhere and not only losing that sale but possibly losing a customer for life.
Double edged sword. Slippery slope. And all that..

Not many businesses do things for their employees out of the goodness of their heart. If they are offering hazard pay most times it's because they're scared employees will quit and cost them money, either in the long or short run. As far as the A/C man charging more to fix your unit, well that's just up to you to decide how bad you need A/C or whatever it is that needs repaired.

I read something today that said " If you got a call today saying you tested positive for COVID19 would you be embarrassed when they ask for a list of places you've been". If people would do the right thing this would end fairly quick.

Brute 23 said:
pricefarm said:
That's a pretty good deal IMO. Sounds like a good company. They are supporting their employees and other business in the area.

If people will take a similar mentality we will all be good.
I believe the same Brute. Good post as usual sir.

We looking at another banking crisis IMO. With the unemployment rates predicted the industry can't absorb 33% foreclosures, repossessions that I can see. This is a world wide issue as well. My crystal ball is cracked but it looks to me we will be going from the frying pan to the fire.