haylage, tube or individual wrapper?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've used both and both have their positives and negatives. Just a little stream of consciousness here...

The individual wrappers are faster if you are wrapping them in the field and not taking them somewhere to wrap in a row. You can stack a TON of individually wrapped bales in a small spot. I could fit 500+ bales in a very small space stacking them 3 bales high. You use much more wrap with an individual wrapper. You can only wrap 22-25 bales per roll on the individual wrappers that I've used where the inline wrapper you can get 75ish bales with two rolls. You need a bale hugger and 3rd vale function on your loader to move individual bales once they are wrapped which can get expensive if you don't already have them. Based on studies I've read you get better/ more consistent fermentation with individually wrapped bales. Inline wrappers need consistent bale size to get less trapped air and good fermentation and sometimes that can be hard baling from field to field. If you are trying to sell hay you almost have to go with an individual wrapper for your customers. I wish I was rich and could have both because some days I love the inline wrapper we bought and sometimes I wish I had an individual wrapper for certain applications.

Here I am!! As said, individual cost more - but is an easier sale item. But, individual should NOT be moved after 24-48 hours (not sure on timing). If they sit for a day, then you move them, it breaks the "perfect" seal that it had.
I cannot believe the individual bales are faster for total process. Wrapping is faster with in-line. In-line and individuals have to be picked up and moved to a location, so that should be a "wash" of time. I would much rather move a net wrapped wet bale to a wrapper than to move a wrapped bale to a stacking location. Have you ever seen how "some" bales end up on the wagon/trailer??? In-line wrapping can cover up a lot of field screw ups. Our bales vary slightly in size. I have never noticed spoilage "due to excess" air. I also have fed 2-year old in-line baleage. End bale generally rots (although the cattle love it!). We never "end cap" the rows. If we have dry bales, we will use them to start and end a row. That is the most efficient and best seal - never lose any of the 1st or last baleage bales.
All that being said - I too am in the North. But, we have 90+ degree days in the summer (not more than maybe 1-2 weeks all summer - LOL). but, never had that affect the baleage.
Warning - never bale more than you can wrap in a day. You do not want them to start heating. Baleage is a cold cure process. It will definitely ruin the hay if it heats.

Here I am!! As said, individual cost more - but is an easier sale item. But, individual should NOT be moved after 24-48 hours (not sure on timing). If they sit for a day, then you move them, it breaks the "perfect" seal that it had.
I cannot believe the individual bales are faster for total process. Wrapping is faster with in-line. In-line and individuals have to be picked up and moved to a location, so that should be a "wash" of time. I would much rather move a net wrapped wet bale to a wrapper than to move a wrapped bale to a stacking location. Have you ever seen how "some" bales end up on the wagon/trailer??? In-line wrapping can cover up a lot of field screw ups. Our bales vary slightly in size. I have never noticed spoilage "due to excess" air. I also have fed 2-year old in-line baleage. End bale generally rots (although the cattle love it!). We never "end cap" the rows. If we have dry bales, we will use them to start and end a row. That is the most efficient and best seal - never lose any of the 1st or last baleage bales.
All that being said - I too am in the North. But, we have 90+ degree days in the summer (not more than maybe 1-2 weeks all summer - LOL). but, never had that affect the baleage.
Warning - never bale more than you can wrap in a day. You do not want them to start heating. Baleage is a cold cure process. It will definitely ruin the hay if it heats.

Most of the time spent with inline wrapping is in setup and roll changing. I can easily do a bale a minute if the truck drivers dump them close and I don't have to carry them that far.

The best that we have found for eliminating spoilage is with a cap bag and a dry bale. Cap the dry bale and wrap it backwards, bag to the inside. It will be totally free of air. The bags are expensive and a pain though. We still got some spoilage using just a dry bale on the end.

We had a wicked rainstorm move through a couple years ago just after baling. Couldn't get in the field without making a huge mess, bales had to sit for 2 days before we could haul and wrap them. I had pretty much written that crop off, but wrapped them anyway. The outside couple inches were a little smelly, you could tell they got warm, but the inside still smelled like good silage. I was surprised, figured after 2 days they would be steaming piles of crap.

I normally won't wait any longer than overnight to get them wrapped.

If we don't have a dry bale to put on ends, I would NEVER mess with a plastic cap. PITA putting on, takes time and expensive. I take the "spoiled" end bale & put it in the hedgerow and the cows eat it. It can be black but they love it. Strange but true!

You are totally right about that. Sometimes they'll step over the good stuff to pick through a steaming pile of crap.

Latest posts