Haying Hazards?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez?

Reaction score
A short tale from my day cutting hay.

Well, I cut about 50 acres of heavy hay today.

You folks in the south will possibly find this hard to believe but .....

The grass was as tall as my head while I sat in the tractor. It is a Case 5250 4WD. A pretty big step to get onto the bottom rung and three more to get into the cab.

Grass is thick and densely matted until about 2 feet up from the ground - I have never seen hay like this.

Neighbour asked me to do some custom cutting for him. I was sitting on some hay that was to damp too bale so I said I would.

Went over to his house and picked up the tractor and hooked on to his Case 8312 discbine.

Drove the whole shebang down to this fellows place and had a short chat with him. He showed me the field, and I asked about hazards.

None he says. No rocks and nothing in the field but grass. Straight orchard and well into getting ready to go to seed.

It has rained here every day for the past 6 weeks so it is real tall grass and the ground is wet. Just this week we are finally getting weather that we can harvest hay.

Being a suspicious type, I started in and opened the field up going real slow.

After getting the head lands done I had a good flat field all set to go.

I was real happy that I was pulling that little discbine with a bit more than a hundred horses because at 6-7 miles per hour and soft ground I was working the equipment pretty good. Almost got stuck a couple of times - but the 4WD and some decent speed saved me.

You know something? He had left a little pull type disc out there - about a 12 footer. I ran right over it with the tractor! Tough to see those little things when they are hidden in the tall grass.

A bit bumpy, but no damage to me - I might have bent the disc up a bit but c'est la vie!

So I stopped and had a peek at the tractor - no marks on the tires. I turned around and put the front end loader under the disc and turned it up on it's side - just to let the owner know I found it! :D

I also found a real nice rock about an hour later - this time I was only going about 3 miles per hour. The rock was probably 8 feet long and stuck up about 6 - 8 inches out of the ground. A real nice square edge that met the discbine almost perfectly flat and into the middle of the cutting bed. It is an almost prefectly square rock that looks like it was a carved pillar laying on it's side. :D

Good thing the stone guards worked, or I would have lost at least three turtle backs.

I probably lost about 6 knives.

So I turned the tractor around and put the loader to the rock and stood it up on end. I think it sticks out out of the ground about 5 feet now - so it is easy to see. I guess this fellow will now have a nice field marker if he leaves it there. It is not quite vertical though - I did not have a level with me. :D

I finished the field with some pretty badly bent knives and will change them tomorrow morning.

That hay will be hard to get dry.

I wonder what folks will think when they drive by this field and see those things sticking straight up in the air?

So much for "no hazards".

Bez?

yeah thats another thing that ticks me off is when those darn black helicopters play practical jokes like hiding farm equipment in a hayfield.

Similar story hay wise here Bez. Reed Canary is even higher than eye level in cab. Not too often do I like to take chances with the equipment, but what do you do, hire bush beaters to machete ahead of you! :lol: ( I just went slow and cringed a lot ).

I hit a rock that Beefy's helo buddies must have dropped in since last year. Rock is about 4 feet in circumfrence and 1 1/12 feet thick. Haybine flipped it right out of the ground, but took out 2 guards and 3 sections. Could have been a LOT worse.

That darned Jeanne bragging about being done already!! Another week or 2 of first cut, and second cut is already staring me in face ready in some fields. The little snot! :lol:

Sure a big differencefrom last year when I had to sell some good cattle because of drought/no hay. This will put me a year ahead, and I plan on stayin there!

Bez? - How did you hit the disc with the tractor before the discbine? I always "find" those little surprises with the mower first. I hate cutting fields that I've never been on but this year I've covered quite a few trying to scrounge up hay. A couple years back I "found" a 8 foot hay ring with the discbine. Wouldn't have been so bad but it was on one of my Dad's fields that was supposedly clean. Worst thing I've picked up was quite a few rods of high-tensile wire. That took a while to undo.

cfpinz

How will you get the hay dry? Will a tedder work with something so long? I've never cut anything that high, maybe some johnson grass 5-6 ft but thats the tallest. If the grass is as tall as the fence line I have a heck of a time getting mine dry. BEZ? what is the humidity like there? I know you said it rained everyday so it must be awfully high. Do you get some winds to maybe offset the humidity. Or will it be put up as baleage.

Before you bought this farem the gent that owned it cut a ditch about 3 foot wide through part of it. He had a neighbor come over and hay it for him and neglected to tell him about the ditch. To hear the neighbor tell it the jerk (pardon me, gent), told him the field was clear and smooth. He found the ditch, now erroded to about 4 foot deep, with the right side tires of the tractor with a 10 foot disc mower hangin off tha side. He said it took almost all day to get the tractor out of the hole and he wasn;t pleased.

dun

Sorry about your bad luck with trash in the field! Next time you (suspect) or encounter something like any of these problems, have the owner drive ahead of you in his pickup. Let him find the trash and hurt HIS pickup or sink it first...you don't get paid enough to damage your equipment or have to untangle !@#$ ...lol.

Same thing applies to people that do custom pasture mowing...owners "lie" (or haven't a clue) about what stuff is laying around in pastures. Some owners just leave something lay theyre if it's found, falls off a truck, or whatever.

dj":2phrdlx7 said:
How will you get the hay dry? Will a tedder work with something so long? I've never cut anything that high, maybe some johnson grass 5-6 ft but thats the tallest. If the grass is as tall as the fence line I have a heck of a time getting mine dry. BEZ? what is the humidity like there? I know you said it rained everyday so it must be awfully high. Do you get some winds to maybe offset the humidity. Or will it be put up as baleage.

The rains stopped last week and humidity is running at 85 plus %. Temp is going to about 90 degrees F today and tomorrow with a slight breeze.

We will leave it in the windrow for two days to allow the ground to dry out a bit.

Then it will be tedded and left for two days.

Then it will be raked and baled.

I have added a tank to my baler - it allows me to add "juice" to the bales. This liquid prevents mould and allows storage of high moisture hay without wrapping.

It costs about a buck fifty a bale vs the cost of wrapping - which runs about 5 bucks a bale in this area.

Bez?

cfpinz":c1nqzttw said:
Bez? - How did you hit the disc with the tractor before the discbine? I always "find" those little surprises with the mower first. I hate cutting fields that I've never been on but this year I've covered quite a few trying to scrounge up hay. A couple years back I "found" a 8 foot hay ring with the discbine. Wouldn't have been so bad but it was on one of my Dad's fields that was supposedly clean. Worst thing I've picked up was quite a few rods of high-tensile wire. That took a while to undo.

cfpinz

Well after I opened the field up I figured there would be nothing in the middle - so I decided - in my infinite wisdom to create two sections to cut - and ran clear down the middle of the field to divide it into two.

Found the disc with my front left tire because I was cutting over my right shoulder.

Bez?