haygrazer

Help Support CattleToday:

heath

Reaction score
I know its a little late, but I'm gonna plant some haygrazer tomorrow. How many cows per acre of avg yield haygrazer can u run? I only plan on grazing as a rotation from grass. The plan is to give the pasture a little less pressure while I clear the brush off.

i can't answer your question but we had a bad experience with haygrazer and prussic acid once.
i'd plant pearl millet instead.

I've read that pearl millet has a higher tendancy to have higher nitrate levels than sorghum/sudan crosses. I've grazed johnson grass, but this will be a first for the haygrazer.

heath":1h88br2d said:
I know its a little late, but I'm gonna plant some haygrazer tomorrow. How many cows per acre of avg yield haygrazer can u run? I only plan on grazing as a rotation from grass. The plan is to give the pasture a little less pressure while I clear the brush off.
Depends on how much you fertilize and how much rain you get....excessive fertilizer and lack of moisture breeds a nitrate problem...lack of moisture for a period then rapid growth from a good rain breeds the prussic acid problem.

how many cows per acre is always related to how long you want them to graze...you could probably leave a cow to an acre on all summer or put 10 cows an acre on for a week.

I'm wanting to leave them in for a week, then fence them out to let it grow back. I have 25 pairs on this pasture and was think about only planting 2 acres, basically just wanting to supplement my pasture. I have enough seed to plant 5 acres, but I dont think I can utilize that much to my advantage. I think i'll carry the rest over for next year.

Most years I plant a hundred acres of haygrazer. This year I planted 65 acres of hay grazer and sprigged the rest in costal bermuda.
In the over 30 yrs I have had this place I dont recall a year with nitrate poisoning.I think this is because I only put out 200 lbs of 20-10-0 a cutting.
After the first cutting I top dress ,after second cutting I top dress.I dont usualy get a third cutting ,I graze the remaining forage.
This land is on the edge of the blacklands,it has some sandy land in spots.Most years I get 4 big rounds an acre per cutting. I prefer the Sweet type of haygrazer.It usualy is a bit earlier to boot and is not quite as stemmy. I plant in first week of march most years,this year it was first week in april due to a wet march.The frost usualy kills it in mid november. My cows have grazed it to the ground about then. I figure a cow to the acre for grazing. Last night we had 1 3/10 inch rain . It should make some hay now.All of April was dry not even a tenth of inch rain.

That's about what on putting out. I'm using 200 lbs of 20-20-10. If it goes ok ill plant more next year. I've just never done any planting before and don't want to waste the money for sees and fertilizer and it not turn out well.

Well, its in the ground. There's a chance for rain tonight, just hope it turns out. Not in my worst nightmare did I think I would ever farm. :)

heath":1fq6uq3f said:
I'm wanting to leave them in for a week, then fence them out to let it grow back. I have 25 pairs on this pasture and was think about only planting 2 acres, basically just wanting to supplement my pasture. I have enough seed to plant 5 acres, but I dont think I can utilize that much to my advantage. I think i'll carry the rest over for next year.

The weevil will probably not thank you for the expensive feast, but they will enjoy it. Best to return the seed and get your money back.

heath":13m6gew8 said:
Well, its in the ground. There's a chance for rain tonight, just hope it turns out. Not in my worst nightmare did I think I would ever farm. :)

wear your hat while your on the tractor so you atleast look like a cowboy :D

cross_7":sh1odur2 said:
heath":sh1odur2 said:

Farmers wear caps....free caps. ;-)

1982vett":1kb8qqql said:
cross_7":1kb8qqql said:
heath":1kb8qqql said:

Yeah, My grandpa always wore Pioneer Seed caps. He farmed and commercial combined up in Wisconsin till he came down with skin cancer. Who knows what kind of chemicals he been exposed to spraying over the years.
I've already switched to the palm leaf this year, usually still wearing a felt.

1982vett":4ohj28cd said:
cross_7":4ohj28cd said:
heath":4ohj28cd said:

Yes "free" with the purchase of a $20,000 baler or $50,000 tractor

MasseyFerg":urgnu7tn said:

Oh he77 no. Just walk in and thell them you need a new cap. They'll give you one...more if you need them.

TexasBred":37lddoln said:
MasseyFerg":37lddoln said:

Oh he77 no. Just walk in and thell them you need a new cap. They'll give you one...more if you need them.

How much does the seed caps cost?

Latest posts