Haygrazer

Help Support CattleToday:

Me thinks it's Johnsongrass. Stems and seed heads too fine for other sorghum species (e.g., haygrazer, redtop cane, etc.). Probably some other "noxious weeds" in this pasture too. Unless desperate for "hay" I wouldn't bale it... JMO

I think it is some type of sudan or haygrazer hybrid. I am thinking you are talking about the few plants in the right corner of the first pic and the scattered plants in the second pic. The rest of the field looks like johnsongrass and looks like it might have made alot of top quality hay if you hadnt sprayed it. If you had cut it before it headed out, it would have been outstanding hay.

Looks like a field that did'nt get worked and johnson grass took it over,looks sparse but just depends on your needs, this year some folks are baling everthing they can find ...........good luck

If you pull up a clump and it has rhizoms spreading out it's JG. That's how I was told to identify the stuff in one of our fields

dun

Doug

The head looks like johnsongrass but the leaves & stalk look like some kind of sorghum. I suspect that particular plant is the result of a sorghum x johnsongrass cross. This could be due to johnsongrass pollen contaminating a seed production field or from crossbred volunteer reeseeding when a previously planted sorghum plant was pollenated by johnsongrass. Just my 2 cents worth.

The field is mostly Johnsongrass as you can see. But the big one in the 1st pic I was told "might" be hay grazer. There's probably about 10 of these per acre. Maybe from an old haygrazer planting that is now a hybrid. I had the JG and this "haygrazer" analyzed for toxins and they came back ok so I'm baleing it.