Hayfield

Help Support CattleToday:

Our hay field looks like this, without the cows. We need a few dry days to get it cut and baled, it is getting very mature.

Can't hardly see the 5 month old calf!

Fire Sweep Ranch said:
Our hay field looks like this, without the cows. We need a few dry days to get it cut and baled, it is getting very mature.

It's hard to tell in that second pic, but is that cheatgrass, or canary grass growing, near the bottom of picture.

sim.-ang.king said:
Fire Sweep Ranch said:

It's hard to tell in that second pic, but is that cheatgrass, or canary grass growing, near the bottom of picture.

Oh no! It is Kentucky Blue and Fesue. Our Cheatgrass never gets taller than 4 inches, and I do not have canary grass. That grass is at least 3 feet tall, with the seed heads.

Those fields look great, We would gladly take some rain from you in order to get your hay up, we only need enough...…….

Missouri has got some of the best grass this spring I've ever seen. We laid down 20 acres today on one of the higher, thinner fields that sheds water well and is a bit drier. Hoping to get it in by Friday evening before the rain hits this Saturday/Sunday.

Our weather is cooperating! We cut the grass last night, and hope to get it baled before Saturday when big rains are expected. It was a great feeling seeing our grass cut! It has been several years since we were able to cut OUR grass for hay.

The volume is amazing! There is a ton of clover and orchard, so I hope it tests well!

Going to be a good first cutting of hay if you can get'r done.
We were going to mow down wheat hay today but those "spot" showers last night hit us with another inch of rain.

We ended up with 69 bales on 18 acres; not bad! We drilled last fall in that field, put in orchard, crimson clover, and Bar Optima. I hope we can get two more cuttings this year, if the weather cooperates.

gcreekrch said:
Those fields look great, We would gladly take some rain from you in order to get your hay up, we only need enough...…….
Would gladly give you some

snoopdog said:
gcreekrch said:
Would gladly give you some

We have taken a half inch in the last few days, another half inch forecast tomorrow. Mosquitos and grass coming strong now.

Fire Sweep Ranch said:
We ended up with 69 bales on 18 acres; not bad! We drilled last fall in that field, put in orchard, crimson clover, and Bar Optima. I hope we can get two more cuttings this year, if the weather cooperates.

With that much volume how'd you get it to dry properly? You cut Tuesday night and baled Saturday? Did you use a tedder?

bhooper said:
Fire Sweep Ranch said:

With that much volume how'd you get it to dry properly? You cut Tuesday night and baled Saturday? Did you use a tedder?

Yes, it was teddered. We were lucky enough to have a few dry days, and out here if the weather is right, you can cut on Monday and bale Tuesday evening! Since this had so much clover, we gave it a little more time to dry before baling. We will send in a hay sample for testing, that will give us a good moisture content. We need to still pull it out of the field, however it has been non-stop raining since it was baled so we can not get into the field to get them out! Hopefully tomorrow.

Cut a few acres thursday evening after a grueling day at work, cut a few more friday after another grueling day, cause the forecast was so good. It rained last night, only 4 tenths but dang! My neighbor had some down and tedded his , swung by and did mine. Humidity is high, but we've had a pretty good breeze. Really messed up my spraying on the lease place today, gonna try and wean tomorrow, and hopefully bale monday. No rest for the wicked.

Latest posts