Haybine vs discbine

Help Support CattleToday:

Rob30

Reaction score
I am looking for the pros and cons for each. I have read that the discbine has the advantage of being difficult to plug up, and cuts faster. The haybine is better, from what I understand, in rough country.
Anything else?

I like the haybine for cane type grasses and a disc cutter for bermudas. I never really saw the need to run bermuda or lighter grasses through a conditioner. A tedder does a better job IMO.

Rob30":3vqayov4 said:
I am looking for the pros and cons for each. I have read that the discbine has the advantage of being difficult to plug up, and cuts faster. The haybine is better, from what I understand, in rough country.
Anything else?
A discbine is faster, will cut cleaner , will cut a crop that has been layed down,is easier to change blades on
but it takes more hp to pull a discbine than it does a haybine with the same cut width

but in short a discbine will do anything a haybine will do but it will do it ALOT better

I sometimes think w/a haybine I get a little better regrowth,less money and less h.p. to run.Discbine is faster and and much more enjoyable to operate IMO.I would also much rather run a discbine over rough ground than I would a haybine.

I thought a haybine would be better for rough land?
How much hp are we talking for a 9ft discbine? I run a new holland 469 haybine now with my old fordson major. Very good on fuel, but slow.

Rob30":1xquue90 said:
How much hp are we talking for a 9ft discbine? I run a new holland 469 haybine now with my old fordson major. Very good on fuel, but slow.
9ft I would suggest at least 60hp and a 70 wouldn't hurt I pull a 10'6" and the least I use is a 90pto hp
but alot of that depends on the brand of cutter also a NH and a kuhn will pull harder than a Deere and the deere will pull harder than a hesston Hesston or Agco
don't know why but they do

we have a 9ft, discbine and use a 4020 jd , and we have a 12ft. we use a 4430 jd , and it gets a good workout on frist cutting

Rob30":lkgwerdh said:

They are better for rough land. Wait until a discbine cuts and sends a shard of rock through your tractor window and kills you. It has happened up here, in combination with many close calls. That's the only thing that scares me from buying a discbine.

Aaron":39nt18xo said:
Rob30":39nt18xo said:

They are better for rough land. Wait until a discbine cuts and sends a shard of rock through your tractor window and kills you. It has happened up here, in combination with many close calls. That's the only thing that scares me from buying a discbine.
Lets see or you could
walk out your door and get struck by lightening
or turn your back and your pet bull mauls you
or you could stub your toe and fall and crack your head and die
or you could be standing under a tree and a limb falls out and kills you
or you could sit down in your favorite chair and be enjoying a nice cold beverage and have a heart attack and die
or you could drive down the road and some idiot hits you and die
or you could go to sleep at nite and never wake up again

So Aaron I guess you need to just wait for the grim reaper to show up becasue there is only one given in this world you ARE going to die
and yes ALL of this has happened around here at one time or another
as fro a discbine throwing rocks yes because they run in a circular motion but if you are cutting that close or if your ground is that rocky then you should be brushhogging it not mowing it for hay and yes I operate in some pretty rough country and if it wasn't for rocks we wouldn't have any soil
if ya don't beleive ME ask a couple others on these boards what type of ground we have here in this part of the country

ALL of the Equipment we use on a farm in our everyday operations can and will kill you
the only time I have ever seen rocks fly out of a discbine is when the curtains are worn out or they aren't attached properly

Angus Cowman":37e1xjm6 said:
as fro a discbine throwing rocks yes because they run in a circular motion but if you are cutting that close or if your ground is that rocky then you should be brushhogging it

They bust windows out too.... :?

Last cutter I bough (almost 10 years ago) was a stub guard haybine.....a whole lot cheaper than the discbine but a 9 foot cut instead of 11. Cut 15 acres yesterday in a little under 5 hours with no problems....well, did chip a tooth on a rock (or something, hit two somethings) but only lacked 4 acres to go when I found it and it was still cutting fine.

Iv'e cut straight alfalfa using a haybine, small swather with a crimper, and then bought a discbine. The discbine is faster, has never plugged and the blades are cheap a he!l, reversable and you can change a blade in about two minutes. Despite the heavy rubber curtain it can send a rock hurtling toward your window. Ask me how I know. Our land is very rocky so around here when you plant hay, you roll it after. The problem is those pesky gophers and then the badgers they attract. Those mounds they make when they dig contain some good sized rocks. That discbine will plow right through them but of course the rocks occasionally make their way out of the curtain. Now keep in mind I've also had a window broken when the pickup on my baler threw up a small rock from a gopher mound. What I did was make a screen for the back window and haven't had a problem since. All it is is a frame made from the lightest angle iron I could find with some mesh welded to the flat side of it. In a couple places on the inside edge I put some rubber tubing on it where it rests against the window frame and then just hang it from the window hinges with wire. This way it rests about an inch away from the glass and absorbs any shock from the odd rock it may encounter.

How much faster is the discbine?
Mowing is the slowest part of my hay making. I can rake and bale a field in the time it takes to cut the hay.
I have found a few reasonably priced discbines. It is too late for this year, but I am thinking about next year.

Latest posts